Office of Diversity and Inclusion
The Office of Diversity and Inclusion is responsible for bringing together teams of leaders and trainees with varied skill sets, perspectives and experiences. Together we are better equipped to meet healthcare challenges and improve the lives of our patients and our community. We are committed to inclusive recruitment, retention and advancement of talented faculty and trainees of diverse backgrounds.
Click here to view and download our one sheet.
To foster a department that embraces diversity of backgrounds, experiences and perspectives as a stimulus for innovation and problem solving, for achieving excellence in education, research and scholarship, and for achieving equity in patient care.
We aim to be a culturally diverse, inclusive and welcoming environment for trainees, faculty and staff, who are equipped to provide excellent care to a diverse patient population.
Resident Recruitment, Training and Support
Along with Vanderbilt University Medical Center (VUMC), we blend new discoveries and technology into education, preparing our trainees to offer the most progressive and comprehensive care possible. We aim to maintain a culturally and demographically diverse group of radiology residents to enrich the learning environment and prepare them to serve an increasingly culturally diverse patient population and reduce healthcare disparities.
- Cultural Proficiency training teaches recognition of unconscious bias and contributes to the elimination of health disparities.
- Radiology Department Visiting Externship allows talented fourth-year medical students from other universities, who are interested in pursuing radiology, to be paired with an underrepresented minority faculty mentor.
- Second Look Weekend gives underrepresented minority GME candidates the opportunity to revisit VUMC.
- Minority Housestaff for Academic and Medical Advancement (MHAMA) organization provides opportunities for mentorship, networking and professional development for underrepresented trainees.
- Radiology Boot Camp provides medical students interested in learning more about the field of radiology access to radiology education, mentorship and research.
- R2: Bimonthly meetings between AAM faculty, fellows and residents in the departments of Radiology and Radiation Oncology to provide support and mentorship outside of the work environment.
Faculty Enrichment Programs
- Our Women in Radiology group is designed to develop knowledgeable, successful, confident women prepared to achieve career success and assume leadership positions.
- Our department Diversity Grand Rounds provides recognition of research and clinical achievements of nationally renowned, underrepresented minority physicians within our specialty.
- Our Cultural Proficiency seminars provide training to recognize unconscious bias and contribute to the elimination of health disparities.
Andrea Birch, MD
Yu Luo, MD, PhD
Stephanie Spottswood, MD, MSPH
Cameron Henry, MD
High School Students: The VUMC Observational Experience (VOE) program allows students to learn about careers in radiology. Applicants may request one observational experience per calendar year. To learn more and to apply, click here.
First-Year Medical Students: The ACR PIER Internship program is an eight-week clinical and research internship. Interns work side-by-side with experienced radiologists and researchers. To learn more and to apply, click here.
Fourth-Year Medical Students: Through the AAMC Visiting Student Learning Opportunities (VSLO) program students have the opportunity to come to Vanderbilt Radiology for a short-term elective rotation. To learn more and to apply, click here.
- Design, Implementation, and Evaluation of a Diversity Program for Radiology
- Diversity Matters
- Battling Blind Spots
- Diversity in Radiology Starts at the Top
- A Better Chance
- Spottswood Awarded Levi Watkins, Jr., M.D., Faculty Award
- Vanderbilt Radiology Faculty Spottswood, Birch Attend AAMP
- Washington Awarded Best Resident/Fellow Oral Presentation at NMA Annual Convention and Scientific Assembly
- Spalluto Mentors Visiting Medical Student in Nth Dimensions Preceptorship Program
- Spalluto Awarded CERC Community-Engaged Research Grant
- Radiology Faculty Awarded EDI Seed Grant for LIFT-OFF
- Vanderbilt Radiology Attends Meharry Career & Residency Fair
- Vanderbilt Radiology Attends 2017 TRS Annual Scientific Meeting
- Radiology Residents Visit Tennessee State Capitol for a Day on the Hill