Now accepting applications for 2019-2020 Medical Student SCRIPS Scholars!
SCRIPS offers fully-funded mentored research opportunities for medical students pursuing interventional specialties. Mentoring of SCRIPS scholars will be facilitated by an Academy of Career Mentors, comprised of active MD basic research surgeons/physician-scientists, and an external advisory board consisting of surgeon/procedural-physician leaders in basic and translational research from across the country. The program also offers a Spring Symposium and quarterly scientific and professional development events aimed at creating relationships between scholars and with Academy members.
- Medical students pursuing surgery or interventional/procedure-based specialties (see Academy of Mentors page for examples of eligible subspecialties.)
- Willing to commit to full year of research
- Lab experience must be in basic/translational research
- Project mentor must be faculty at Vanderbilt (University or Medical Center) or Meharry
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you are unsure if you meet these criteria.
- Generous stipend
- Health insurance
- Allowance for travel to present at regional/national meeting
- Participation in quarterly scientific/professional development events
- Spring Research Symposium
- Mentoring from prestigious internal and external Physician Scientists
- The application window begins in mid-November
- Applications are due February 1 annually
- The program start date is July 1
The 2019-2020 fellowship period will be July 1, 2019- June 30, 2020. To apply, fill out the student application and have your mentor fill out the mentor form. The Co-mentor form is required only if relevant to your research project.
All application forms must be completed by FEBRUARY 1, 2019 at 11:59 pm.
Note that SCRIPS shares an application portal with the Vanderbilt Medical Scholars program, since most students choose to apply to both programs. To be considered for SCRIPS, be sure to answer "YES" to the final question (Are you interested in also being considered for a Scholar position in the SCRIPS Program?) and then answer the three eligibility questions:
- Are you pursuing surgery or an interventional/procedure-based specialty (e.g. interventional cardiology and radiology, anesthesiology, etc.)? Non-interventional fields are not eligible for SCRIPS funding.
- Are you proposing a basic or translational research project? Clinical research is not eligible for SCRIPS funding.
- Is your mentor located at Vanderbilt University, Vanderbilt University Medical Center, or Meharry Medical College? SCRIPS Scholars must have a Vanderbilt or Meharry mentor.
Find more details about the application and review process on the Medical Scholars website.