Vanderbilt University Medical Center has launched the Discovery Lecture Series featuring the world's most eminent scientists, who will speak on the highest-impact research and policy issues in science and medicine today. In light of COVID-19, the Discovery Lecture Series may be conducted via interactive webinar, or in person with associated live stream. See each event listing for details. All lectures, unless otherwise indicated, start at 4:00 p.m. Please register here in order to receive the webinar instructions.
Roland Eils, PhD
Founding Director, Center for Digital Health at the Berlin Institute of Health
Charite University Medical Center Berlin
October 21, 2021 | 4:00 p.m.
Sponsored by the Quantitative Systems Biology Center and the Vanderbilt Diabetes Center
*To be hosted via Zoom
Susan Amara, PhD
Senior Director, National Institute of Mental Health
October 7, 2021 | 4:00 p.m.
Sponsored by the Department of Pharmacology
Jennifer Doudna, PhD
Founder and President, Innovative Genomics Institute
Li Ka Shing Chancellor’s Chair and Professor of Chemistry and of Molecular and Cell Biology, University of California, Berkeley
July 22, 2021 | 2:35 p.m.
Sponsored by the Offices of the Executive Vice President for Research and the Dean of Basic Sciences
Donald Berwick, MD, MPP
- President Emeritus and Senior Fellow, Institute for Healthcare Improvement
April 15, 2021 | 4:00 p.m.
Sponsored by the Vanderbilt Clinical Informatics Center
Richard Tsien, PhD
- Chair, Department of Neuroscience and Physiology
- Director, Neuroscience Institute
- Druckenmiller Professor of Neuroscience
- Professor, Department of Neurology
April 8, 2021 | 4:00 p.m.
Sponsored by the Vanderbilt Brain Institute
Christine Cassel, MD
- Presidential Chair, University of California, San Francisco
March 25, 2021 | 4:00 p.m.
Sponsored by the Department of Health Policy
David DeMets, PhD
- Max Halperin Emeritus Professor of Biostatistics, University of Wisconsin - Madison
March 18, 2021 | 4:00 p.m.
Sponsored by the Department of Biostatistics
Mukesh Jain, MD
- Professor, Department of Medicine and Physiology and Biophysics, Case Western University
March 11, 2021 | 4:00 p.m.
Sponsored by the Vanderbilt Medical Scientist Training Program
Juanita Merchant, MD, PhD
- Chief, Division of Gastroenterology and Hepatology
- Professor of Medicine, University of Arizona College of Medicine
February 25, 2021 | 4:00 p.m.
Sponsored by the Vanderbilt SCRIPS: Supporting Careers in Research for Interventional Physicians and Surgeons
Michael Rosen, PhD
- Mar Nell and F. Andrew Bell Distinguished Chair in Biochemistry
- Chair, Department of Biophysics
January 14, 2021 | 4:00 p.m.
Sponsored by the Center for Structural Biology