To make an appointment, call (615) 322-2427 or visit www.vumc.org/student-health/online-appointments to schedule a visit that best meets your needs.
Women’s Health Exams
We offer comprehensive gynecological care appointments including:
- Physical exams and Pap smears
- Health history will be reviewed with a provider
- Additional information about HPV and Pap tests can be found here
- Family Planning counseling
- Routine STD testing (see below)
- Birth control management
- Birth control assessment and prescriptions
- Depo-Provera shots
- IUD insertion - If you are interested in this option, make an appointment with your provider now to discuss your options, process and cost.
- IUD removal
- Nexplanon placement and removal - If you are interested in this option, make an appointment with your provider now to discuss your options, process and cost.
- Emergency contraception
- Plan B (morning after pill)
- Emergency contraception can be dispensed to an intimate partner
- Counseling for pregnant students
- Evaluation of abnormal PAP smears with colposcopy and cervical biopsies
Men’s Health Exams
We offer comprehensive primary care appointments including:
- Routine physical exams –Health history will be reviewed with your provider
- Routine STD testing (see below)
HIV and STD Testing and Treatment
Confidential STD and HIV testing are available to all students. STD and HIV testing can be paid for at the time of the visit (i.e., no insurance billing) or the medical center can bill your private health insurance plan. Each plan has different levels of coverage, so we ask that each patient check with his/her individual plan ahead of time to determine coverage levels. NOTE: If a student is on a parental plan, and decides to bill that insurance, an EOB (Explanation of Benefits) will go home to parents, and that EOB will outline which tests the student had. For this reason, many students elect to pay Student Health directly and forgo insurance billing.
Gallagher student health insurance covers most of the STD tests, with the co-pays ranging from $0 to $10 per test. Students will receive an EOB directly from Gallagher and no EOB will be sent home to parents.
|Test||Out of Pocket Cost (no insurance bill)||Cost if Enrolled in Student Health Insurance (Gallagher)|
|Chlamydia (oral, anal, vaginal, penile)||$5 per test||$0|
|Gonorrhea (oral, anal, vaginal, penile)||$5 per test||$0|
Please make an appointment with one of our health care providers to discuss your specific needs.
HIV Pre-Exposure and Post-Exposure Treatment and Evaluation
Our physicians and nurse practitioners are experienced in the evaluation and treatment of patients exposed to HIV, so confidential visits to discuss pre and post-exposure HIV medications are welcomed. We do not carry these medications at Student Health but can write a prescription that can be filled in a local pharmacy. Prescriptions for prophylactic medications may or may not be covered by your insurance so each student will need to check with his/her individual insurance carrier to determine this benefit. The Gallagher student health insurance does cover these medications with a co-pay in the pharmacy. Please make an appointment with one of our health care providers to discuss your specific needs.
Student exposed to HIV (or have had a high risk but unknown exposure such as sexual assault) should start medication as soon as possible after exposure. Students should contact Student Health for a same-day appointment or if after-hours (and without access to Student Health within 12 hours), students should contact the after-hours emergency line at 615-322-2427.