To make an appointment, call (615) 322-2427 or visit www.vumc.org/student-health/online-appointments to schedule a visit that best meets your needs.
We offer comprehensive sexual and reproductive health care appointments including:
- Physical exams
- Health history will be reviewed with a provider
- Pap smears for cervical screening
- Additional information about HPV and Pap tests can be found here
- Family Planning counseling
- Routine STD testing (see below)
- Birth control management
- Birth control assessment and prescriptions
- Depo-Provera shots
- IUD insertion - If you are interested in this option, make an appointment with your provider now to discuss your options, process and cost.
- IUD removal
- Nexplanon placement and removal - If you are interested in this option, make an appointment with your provider now to discuss your options, process and cost.
- Emergency contraception
- Plan B (morning after pill)
- Emergency contraception can be dispensed to an intimate partner
- Counseling for pregnant students
- Evaluation of abnormal PAP smears with colposcopy and cervical biopsies
HIV and STD Testing and Treatment
Confidential STD and HIV testing are available to all students. Most STD and HIV testing is free of charge or low cost at the Student Health Center.
Pricing detail for the 2021-2022 will be available in August.
Please make an appointment with one of our health care providers to discuss your specific needs.
HIV Pre-Exposure and Post-Exposure Treatment and Evaluation
Our physicians and nurse practitioners are experienced in the evaluation and treatment of patients exposed to HIV, so confidential visits to discuss pre and post-exposure HIV medications are welcomed. We do not carry these medications at Student Health but can write a prescription that can be filled in a local pharmacy. Prescriptions for prophylactic medications may or may not be covered by your insurance so each student will need to check with his/her individual insurance carrier to determine this benefit. The AHP student health insurance does cover these medications with a co-pay in the pharmacy. Please make an appointment with one of our health care providers to discuss your specific needs.
Student exposed to HIV (or have had a high risk but unknown exposure such as sexual assault) should start medication as soon as possible after exposure. Students should contact Student Health for a same-day appointment or if after-hours (and without access to Student Health within 12 hours), students should contact the after-hours emergency line at 615-322-2427.