Peer Vaccination Protocol:
- Ask 3 questions prior to administering the flu vaccine:
- Do you have a severe egg allergy?
- Have you had an allergic reaction to a prior flu shot?
- Have you had Guillian-Barré syndrome?
If the answer to any question is "yes", do not vaccinate the employee. Please refer them to the Occupational Health Clinic.
If the answer to all 3 questions is "no", offer the employee a Vaccine Information Statement and administer 0.5ml flu vaccine IM in the deltoid muscle (do not use alternate sites.)
- Activate your safety device!!!
- Document the vaccination
- DO NOT access eStar to document vaccine given to your co-workers!!
OHC will upload the vaccine records into the occupational tracking system and eStar. Allow one week for vaccine records to all be uploaded.
After the upload, employees can view/print their vaccination record by logging in to the Health & Wellness Information Portal.
FAQ for Peer Vaccinators:
- Can pregnant women safely take flu vaccine? Yes
- Is the vaccine latex-free and thimerosal-free? It depends on the brand. Contact OHC for latex-free or thimerosal-free options.
- Is it a live vaccine? No, injectable flu vaccine is not a live vaccine.
- Can I take flu vaccine if I am sick? Yes if you have a mild illness without fever. If you have a fever, it is best to delay vaccine until the fever is gone.
The Vaccine Information Sheet for 2019 is new this year.