Health Plus: Vanderbilt's health promotion programs to advance healthy lifestyle practices.
- Go for the Gold: Vanderbilt's award-winning three-step Go for the Gold program can help you achieve a healthier and more productive life by identifying health risks and taking action to reduce those risks.
- Healthy Lifestyle Coaching: Health Plus provides personal lifestyle coaching as a benefit for Vanderbilt faculty/staff and spouses.
- Vanderbilt Recreation and Wellness Center - Gain access to the exercise facilities & classes with a monthly membership.
- Health Plus Step Challenges - Compete with colleagues or just have fun recording your steps to celebrate health for a chance to win great prizes.
- Health Plus Pacers – Join this Vanderbilt community walking and running club, and participate either in person or digitally to help foster a culture of physical activity – and to earn a club t-shirt.
- Walking Routes: Enjoy campus walking routes ranging from 10 to 40 minutes. 1/10th mile markers allow you to customize your own route.
- Health Plus On-line Workouts: Check out the Health Plus online workout page to boost your cardiovascular, muscular, and flexibility fitness.
- VWell Connect - An online portal to connect members of the Vanderbilt community with shared activity interests such as hiking, golf, tennis, running, etc.
- Physical Activity Resource Page - Learn the guidelines and recommendations for aerobic exercise
- CDC Physical Activity - Learn easy strategies to improve you physical activity status
Other places around town
- Planet Fitness - A 24/7 fitness club with no commitment membership options.
- CLIMB Nashville – A rock climbing and fitness facility centrally located in Nashville.
- Orange Theory – A group workout club using science-based fitness theory to maximize results.
- Hot Yoga Plus: A community of yoga studios offering a variety of classes and treatments
- Iron Tribe Fitness – A fitness studio specializing in High Intensity Interval Training
- Gordon Jewish Community Center – A community center rooted in Jewish values with aquatic, fitness, and sports programs.
- Nashville Parks and Recreation – Parks with miles of greenways and trails for those keen on hiking or nature walks.
- VUMC Benefits - VUMC offers a wide range of investment and financial planning options (login required).
- VU Retirement Benefits - Helping eligible Vanderbilt University faculty and staff prepare for retirement.
- Financial Empowerment Center - Provides free, professional financial counseling to Nashvillians citywide, helping Davidson County residents (and often will see Vanderbilt employees regardless of residence) reduce debt and build assets through free, one-on-one financial counseling.
- Finding a Financial Planner - Financial planners advise clients on how best to save, invest, and grow their money. Certified Financial Planners are licensed and regulate professionals. Be sure to check out qualifications before hiring.
- Financial blog for physicians -The White Coat Investor is a blog that focuses on the financial issues that impact physicians
- Vanderbilt Faculty/Staff Hardship Fund - Established in 1994, this funding assists Vanderbilt faculty and staff who are experiencing a temporary hardship due to a life event. To begin the application process please call: (615)936-1327
- Crisis Situations -If you are having an immediate psychological crisis, call Work/Life Connections-EAP at 936-1327.
- The United Way Helpline - If you have the need for immediate shelter or food, call the Helpline by dialing – 211.
- Room at the Inn - Assist in addressing short-term needs, such as shelter and utility assistance, as well as long-term solutions.
- Second Harvest Food Bank - If you or someone you know is in need of emergency food assistance call 329-3491
Vanderbilt Campus Resources
- Faith Traditions - Learn more about the diverse faiths represented in the area
- VU Office of the University Chaplain and Religious Life -supports the spiritual and religious growth of all Vanderbilt community members while encouraging the ongoing development of interfaith literacy and dialogue.
- VUMC Adult Pastoral Care - for VUH patients and families
- VUMC Pastoral Care at MCJCHV– spiritual care for patient and their families at the Vanderbilt Children's Hospital
- Vanderbilt Pastoral Care has compiled listings of accommodations, houses of worship, restaurants, and other pertinent information as a courtesy.
Eating a balanced diet is an important part of leading a healthy lifestyle.
- Eat Right Now: A healthy eating guide to support you in planning meals and buying foods that fit your busy lifestyle.
- Nutrition Corner: Enjoy healthy samples, practical recipes, and reliable nutrition information in a fun, come and go atmosphere.
- Healthy Recipes: Try out healthy, affordable, delicious recipes.
- TASTE: Eat delicious food, save money, and minimize your time in the kitchen with this ten week challenge June—September.
- National Nutrition Month® Challenge: Celebrate the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics annual campaign in March.
- Vanderbilt Farmers' Market: June—October.
- Eat Right with Healthy Bites: Learn about healthier food options on the Vanderbilt campus to help support you in healthy eating.
- Choose My Plate: Resources and nutrition information are available to help you determine your daily recommended amount of food based on your age, gender, and activity level.
- Healthy Catering Guide: Use this guide for your next catered event and support healthy eating on the Vanderbilt campuses.
- Vanderbilt Nutrition Clinic: Registered dietitians are available to support you in healthy eating, as well as nutritional management of nutrition related disease and conditions.
- Listen and Watch Online: A variety of Wellcasts and videos are available to support healthy eating.
Getting to a healthy weight is important because obesity increases the risk of coronary heart disease, type 2 diabetes, some cancers, and other diseases and conditions.
- Know Your Numbers: Track your weight and body mass index.
- Vanderbilt Healthier You: Vanderbilt Healthier You is a personalized weight management program offered jointly by the Occupational Health Clinic, Health Plus, and Work/Life Connections-EAP.
- One-on-One Weight Management Coaching: Individualized support and encouragement, by phone or in person, is available to Vanderbilt faculty and staff to support healthy weight.
- Diabetes Prevention Program: A one-year lifestyle change program to reduce the risk of diabetes through healthy eating, regular physical activity, and moderate weight loss.
- Eat. Move. Feel.: This video includes a variety of resources to support you in maintaining or attaining a healthy weight.
- CDC Healthy Weight: Online resources are available to support your healthy weight goals.
- Listen and Watch Online: A variety of Wellcasts and videos are available to support weight loss.
Get help in quitting use of tobacco.
- Tobacco Cessation Resources at Vanderbilt - Get a Quit-Kit from Health Plus and more.
- Quit Rx Program - The Vanderbilt Occupational Health Clinic Quit Rx Program offers counseling and treatment services to help faculty and staff become tobacco free; medication prescriptions are available when recommended.
- One-on-One Tobacco Cessation Coaching - Individualized support and encouragement, by phone or in person, is available to Vanderbilt faculty and staff to support tobacco cessation.
- Tobacco Cessation Benefits for VU Faculty and Staff - Vanderbilt offers faculty and staff covered on the Vanderbilt Health Care Plan and their covered dependents a tobacco cessation benefit.
- Tobacco Cessation FAQ for VUMC Faculty and Staff
- Tennessee Tobacco QuitLine - The State of Tennessee offers this toll-free telephone service that provides personalized support for Tennesseans who want to quit tobacco use.
- The American Lung Association - Learn more at this site about why and how to stop smoking.
- Smokefree.gov - Offers many helpful tools and strategies for quitting smoking including a texting program, social support, and Smokefree apps.
Stress by itself is neither good nor bad. Our ability to respond well or not to a stressor determines the value we place upon it.
- Vanderbilt Work/Life Connections-EAP - Work/Life Connections provides psychological support for Vanderbilt faculty and staff.
- One-on-One Stress Resilience Coaching - Individualized support and encouragement, by phone or in person, is available to Vanderbilt faculty and staff to support stress management.
- Facing Life's Challenges - Learn ways to help manage your stress whether the cause is financial or from other sources.
- Stress Self-Assessment -Take the self evaluation to assess your stress level.