A healthy workplace environment is supportive of employee's efforts to be healthy. Healthy eating is an important part of an overall healthy lifestyle. Today more faculty and staff are requesting healthy foods provided in the workplace or sold at work.
Health Plus has created this resource page to support you and your department in making healthy food choices for yourself or for your co-workers.
Components of a Healthy Meal:
- Build a healthy breakfast - Whole grain + Lean meat/protein + Whole or cut fruit + Low-fat dairy
- Build a healthy lunch or dinner - Whole grain starch + Lean protein entrée or Vegetarian entrée + Salad
Grilled/roasted/raw vegetables + Whole or cut fruit + Low-calorie beverage
Choose appropriate portions by following the MyPlate guidelines:
- Make one-half of your plate fruits and vegetables.
- Make one-fourth of your plate grain.
- Make one-fourth of your plate lean meat or other protein.
- Include low-fat dairy such as milk, cheese, or yogurt.
- Offer foods that are lower in fat and salt such as baked chips, unsalted popcorn, grilled or roasted entrées, or dishes seasoned with herbs and spices instead of added salt.
|Choose This:||Instead of:|
|Bottled water, 100% juice, skim or 1% milk, tea, coffee||Soda, fruit-flavored drinks, whole milk, gourmet coffee drinks|
|Low-fat yogurt||Full-fat yogurt|
|Small bagels (3 ½ inches or smaller), small muffins (2 ½ inches or smaller)||Large bagels, regular or large muffins, doughnuts, pastries|
|Unsweetened cereal (ex: Cheerios)||Sweetened cereal (ex: Lucky Charms, Fruit Loops)|
|Whole grain waffles or French toast||Waffles or French toast made from white bread|
|Canadian bacon, lean ham, turkey sausage||Bacon, pork sausage|
For Lunch and Dinner:
|Choose This:||Instead of:|
|Diet sodas, unsweetened tea, water, 100% juice||Regular soda, fruit-flavored juice drinks, sweet tea|
|Salads with dressing on the side||Salads with added dressing|
|Vinaigrette dressings||Creamy salad dressings (ex: Caesar, ranch)|
|Soups made with vegetable puree or skim milk||Creamy soups made from whole milk or half and half|
|Pasta salads with low-fat and/or vinaigrette dressings||Pasta salads with mayonnaise or cream-based dressings|
|Sandwiches on whole wheat bread||Sandwiches on white bread or croissants|
|Lean lunch meats, poultry, fish||Fried meats, bacon, full-fat cold cuts|
|Grilled meats||Fried meats|
|Dips made from salsa, low-fat cottage cheese, hummus, or low-fat salad dressing||Dips made from mayonnaise, sour cream, cream cheese, or cheese sauce|
|Baked chips, pretzels||Regular chips|
|Vegetable spring rolls (not fried)||Fried egg rolls|
- Look for these items:
- Fat-free or reduced fat popcorn
- Whole-wheat crackers with peanut butter or cheese
- Whole-grain granola or cereal bars
- Graham or animal crackers
- 100% fruit or vegetable juice
- Fresh fruit
- Dried fruit such as raisins, cranberries, or apricots - Microwavable soup or oatmeal
Source: Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
Read Initiative Aims to Boost Healthy Vending Options in The Vanderbilt Reporter
View the food tips for healthy meetings.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Choosing Foods and Beverages for Healthy Meetings, Conferences and Events.
United States Department of Agriculture. Choose MyPlate.