If you require installation of one or more data cables for network connectivity for new or existing devices, follow the instructions below.
How can I get it?
Port Activation Requests
To request a port activation, submit a Pegasus ticket for "Activate Network Port"
Information required for a network port activation:
- Building Room number (as taken from the wall jack)
- NOTE: The room number on the wall jack might not match the room number on your door. Additionally, a wall jack should have two room numbers. One is the room you are in. The other is the communication room the cable is directed to. Ensure that your room number is on your request and NOT the communication room.
- Example: "Request patching of VUH room 3265A, jack D02"
- Jack number for each activation
NOTE: Request patching for immediate needs only. We can activate jacks whenever you need them.
Departmental Moves, Renovations, and Large Patch Requests
The process for requesting a port activation during a departmental move or a departmental renovation is the same.
- Larger requests or time sensitive requests require advance notice to schedule and complete.
- Some large patch requests may require additional network switchports. Switchports are located in VUMC IT closets with other IT equipment. More time is required to assess capacity and add network infrastructure, if required.
Add large port activation requests as an attachment to the Pegasus ticket for "Activate Network Port".
Assistance and Support
- If you need assistance or have questions about a port request contact a VUMC IT Customer Relationship Manager for consultation.
- If you are having an issue with a port or a cable, contact the VUMC IT/NTT Help Desk at 615-343-HELP/3-4357 or submit a Pegasus Ticket and indicate the issue you are having.
Consider this before submitting a ticket for cable, network or connectivity issues:
The number one cause of poor or intermittent network connectivity is a bad cable connected to the workstation. Ensure that this cable is checked and/or replaced before submitting a ticket for port activation or cable services. For Independent IT Support Providers - We recommend using a high-quality CAT 6 patch cable, such as CommScope.
Network Support Responsibility
Network Services is responsible for network connectivity to wall jacks. If the department has devices managed by VUMC IT, these cables will be maintained by VUMC IT.
The end device and its patch cable are the responsibility of the department or Independent IT Support Providers. If the department has devices managed by VUMC IT, these cables will be provided by VUMC IT.