The Department of Radiology yesterday hosted its Annual Radiology Awards and Special Recognition Ceremony highlighting the contributions of colleagues who went above and beyond in 2019.
Rich Pierce, MBA, Chief Finance and Administration Officer for the Department of Radiology, kicked off the ceremony by welcoming faculty, staff and trainees, and briefly sharing department highlights from last year.
“Radiology is a great place to work,” said Pierce. “With nearly $100 million in capital projects ongoing in the department, it’s a reflection of the impact we have on Vanderbilt and the hard work you put in every day to deliver outstanding patient care.”
Colleagues throughout the department were asked to submit nominations to department leadership for each award, including the O. Malcolm Sloan Outstanding Medical Imager, Radiology Resident of the Year and the Chair’s Annual Leadership Award.
This year’s O. Malcolm Sloan Outstanding Medical Imager award was presented to Jennifer Higgins, ARRT (R)(CT)(MR), for her outstanding medical imaging abilities, work ethic and professionalism.
“Jennifer is a symbol servant, leader and an image of what we want in radiology,” said Pierce. “She has a take-charge attitude, is supportive of her team, and is knowledgeable and welcoming of others.”
Filip Banovac, MD, Associate Professor of Radiology and Interventional Radiology (IR) Section Chief, presented the Radiology Resident of the Year award to Bill Winter, MD, MS, fourth-year IR resident, for his radiologist-like knowledge, genuine concern for his patients, and professionalism with radiology technologists, sonographers and staff.
“In his time here, Bill has proven his passion for radiology and patient care,” said Dr. Banovac. “He always receives superlative ratings on his reviews, is compassionate and dedicated in his work.”
The Chair’s Annual Leadership Award was presented by Jake Block, MD, Associate Professor of Radiology and Vice Chair of Clinical Operations, to Paul Searfoss, CNMT, ARRT (N, CT), for his excellent leadership and management skills, and for supporting and advancing department goals.
“Paul has a consistently positive and encouraging attitude,” said Dr. Block. “He has a team effort mentality, models excellent CREDO behavior, and always demonstrates the qualities that he would expect from his staff.”
Modality/Section of the Year awards were also presented to technologists, sonographers, nurses and support staff who exceeded the expectations of their role. A comprehensive list of award recipients is provided below.
- Breast Center Radiology Team Member of the Year: Mehrnaz Seirafi-Pour, RT(R)(M)
- Computed Tomography Technologist of the Year: Jacqueline Ceballos, ARRT RT(R)(CT)
- Diagnostic Medical Sonographer of the Year: Christina Eum, RDMS
- Diagnostic Radiologic Technologist of the Year: Lindsay Clawson, RT(R)
- Interventional Radiology Technologist of the Year: Brooke Miles, RT(R)(CT)(VI)
- Magnetic Resonance Imaging Technologist of the Year: Carly Cook, ARRT RT(R)(MR)(CT)
- Nuclear Medicine Technologist of the Year: Keri Wyatt, CNMT
- Radiology Nurse of the Year: Schuyler Jung Figura, RN, BSN
- Radiology Patient Services Representative of the Year: Charles Floyd
- Radiology Patient Experience Team Member of the Year: Catherine Johnson
- Radiology Academic Research Enterprise Staff Member of the Year: Laura Thrower
- Radiology Support Team Member of the Year: Jaime Branch
- Resource Staff Member of the Year: Ryan Ross, RT(R)
- VOI Radiology Team Member of the Year: Kim Ferguson, RT(R)(M)
In addition, a total of 56 colleagues were recognized for having perfect attendance last year.
“We couldn’t deliver the care we do without the support of our team,” added Pierce. “Thank you for showing up every day, and for doing the hard yet wonderful work that makes Vanderbilt Radiology so great.”
The Department of Radiology is one of the largest departments in the Medical Center, comprised of 536 faculty, staff and trainees who provide a variety of imaging and diagnostic services at seven on- and off-campus locations in the Metro Nashville area.
Jennifer Higgins, ARRT (R)(CT)(MR) (right), receives the 2019 O. Malcolm Sloan Outstanding Medical Imager of the Year Award.
Bill Winter, MD, MS (center), receives the 2019 Radiology Resident of the Year Award.
Paul Searfoss, CNMT, ARRT (N, CT) (center), receives the 2019 Chair's Annual Leadership Award.
To view and download additional images from the awards ceremony, click here.