There's nothing like warm weather and longer days to put a smile on your face! Spring is here, and more people will start getting outside to soak up the sun.
Did you know that being in nature, or even enjoying the view outside your window, decreases feelings of negative emotions? Negative emotions, such as fear, anger, and resentment, can be left behind and replaced with moments of relaxation, restoration, and peace of mind. Exposure to nature not only makes you feel better emotionally, but it contributes to your physical wellbeing as well. It helps reduce blood pressure, heart rate, muscle tension, and the production of stress hormones.
Here are some actions you can start as the weather heats up.
- Play in the dirt. Getting in your own backyard is a great way to escape for a few hours. Start a garden and fill it with flowers, vegetables, and other plants.
- Talk a walk. Whether it's around the block or on a trail, walk around and take in the scenery. You can invite a friend or take your pet to enjoy the walk with you!
- Let nature inspire you. There's nothing like seeing a beautiful sunset. It's even better when you can capture it in a photo to create a long-lasting memory. If you're creative, consider painting the scenery and enjoy the process.
- Exercise outside. Whether it's going for a run, yoga in the backyard, or stretching, breath in the fresh air and enjoy the day.
- Enjoy the animals. If you have the option, get a bird feeder so you can watch the birds and squirrels enjoy a buffet of treats.
Nature helps us refocus, reset, and relax. We encourge you to carve out time in your week and get outside to enjoy the views around you!
If you are struggling with your mental or emotional well-being, call 615-936-1327 to schedule a confidential appointment with one of our EAP Counselors.