Medicaid/Tenncare & Medicare Enrollment


  • A valid TennCare/Medicaid ID number is required for participation in TennCare, Tennessee’s Medicaid program. Most house staff will be automatically enrolled by the GME office and no action needed by the house staff.  However, some house staff will be identified by the state as needing to enroll individually. When/if this occurs, you will receive a notification email from providing guidance and asking you to enroll individually for Medicaid/Tenncare.  A Medicaid  enrollment guide for TN licensed HS can be found at Medicaid Tenncare Enrollment Guide for TN licensed HS from provider enrollment.

Medicare Enrollment

  • CMS requires all providers, to include residents, and fellows, must be enrolled as a Medicare provider to be able to order/refer items or services to Medicare beneficiaries. If you plan to order/refer, please follow the guidance created by provider enrollment found at Medicare Enrollment Guide for HS from Provider Enrollment. At this time there is no CMS option for centrally enrolling House Staff and we ask that you please complete enrollment individually.  Note - unlicensed house staff enrolling are required to upload a signed document on letterhead confirming their position.  The document was/will be emailed to you from  with the word “Medicare” in the subject line prior to your start date.  The Medicare document was/is in the body of the email and not sent as an attachment.  Please contact with questions.