- Kim Unertl, PhD, FACMI was quoted in the VUMC Reporter article, “DBMI summer program for MNPS high school students resumes” in which she spoke about the difficulty in funding high school students.
- William Martinez, MD, MS, was mentioned for presenting his current research at Vanderbilt Diabetes Day in the Reporter article, “Vanderbilt Diabetes Day celebrates investigational achievements, looks toward future.”
- Scott Nelson, PharmD, MS, and Adam Wright, PhD, were mentioned for their paper on naloxone prescribing patterns over the 15 months following implementation of an automated alert in the Reporter article, “Pushing (anti-overdose) drugs.”
- Derek Williams, MD, MPH, was mentioned as an author of a study on acute care utilization rates of children with medical complexity in the Reporter article, “Pediatric acute care use by ZIP code.”
- Lyndsay Nelson, PhD, was quoted for her project conducted as part of a larger study examining telehealth use among caregivers of young children in the Reporter article, “Scale measures confidence with telehealth technology.”
5/13/22: A paper (Integration of Face-to-Face Screening with Real-time Machine Learning to Predict Risk of Suicide Among Adults) by Colin Walsh, MD, MA, and colleagues, including Allison McCoy, PhD, was featured in the Reporter: Suicide prediction method combines AI and face-to-face screening
5/9/22: A study by Trent Rosenbloom, MD, MPH, and coauthors (State-by-State Variability in Adolescent Privacy Laws) was mentioned in the Reporter article, "Experts seek uniform patient confidentiality policies for adolescents".
4/28/22: Sharidan Parr, MD, MSCI, MS, was featured for being inducted into the 2022 Class of Fellows of the American Medical Informatics Association (FAMIA) in the VUMC Reporter article, “Matheny, Parr elected to class of AMIA fellows.”
4/21/22: Eric Tkaczyk, MD, PhD is pictured and mentioned in the VUMC Reporter article, “VUMC a national leader in physician-scientist training” for his research focuses in developing biophotonic optical imaging approaches, artificial intelligence algorithms, and other technologies to improve the diagnosis and treatment of skin diseases.
4/7/22: Eric Tkaczyk, MD, PhD and Lee Wheless, MD, PhD are mentioned as authors of their study on using a trained machine learning algorithm to identify areas of skin affected by chronic graft-versus-host disease in the VUMC Reporter article, “Computer eyeballs graft-vs-host disease.”
3/31/22: Jeremy Warner, MD, MS is mentioned as a co-author of a study featured in the VUMC Reporter article, “Black patients with cancer face worse COVID outcomes: study.”
3/30/22: Sara Host, MD, MPH is featured in the VUMC Reporter article, “Horst named medical director for telehealth at VUMC,” for being named the new medical director for Telehealth Ambulatory Services for VUMC. Congratulations, Dr. Horst!
3/28/22: Eric Tkaczyk, MD, PhD is pictured and quoted in the VUMC Reporter article, “Study finds 10-second videos predict blood cancer relapse.”
3/24/22: In the VUMC Reporter article, “VUMC Clickbusters program helps reduce EHR alerts,” Allison McCoy, PhD is pictured and quoted, and Adam Wright, PhD is mentioned for their impact made with the BPA Clickbusters program.
2/24/22: Derek Williams, MD and Sunil Kripalani, MD, MSC were mentioned as research mentors in the VUMC Reporter article, “Study to explore neurologic impact of flu treatment.”
2/3/22: Derek Williams, MD is quoted in the VUMC Reporter article, “Study finds shorter treatment better for young children with outpatient pneumonia.”
2/3/22: Travis Osterman, DO, MS is featured in the VUMC Reporter article, “Osterman plays key role in major oncology EHR initiative.”
1/31/22: Lyndsay Nelson, PhD and Lindsay Mayberry, PhD are mentioned in the VUMC Reporter article, “Impact of digital health interventions.”
1/26/22: Martin Were, MD, MS is featured in the VUMC Reporter article, “Smartphone app supports EHR efforts in low-income countries.”
1/20/22: Scott Nelson, PharmD, MS is mentioned in the VUMC Reporter article, “New method enhances efforts to identify drug repurposing targets.”
1/19/22: Stephanie Moore-Lotridge, PhD is mentioned in the VUMC Reporter article, “Study identifies molecular trigger of severe injury-induced inflammatory response.”
1/6/22: The VUMC Reporter article, “New faculty awards honor clinical, research, teaching missions,” mentioned two new awards that are being introduced for the 2022 award cycle, one of which is named the Kevin B. Johnson, M.D. Award, given for innovative approaches advancing clinical practice and/or biomedical research.
12/24/21: Jeremy Warner, MD is quoted and pictured in the VUMC Reporter article, “Study of fully vaccinated patients with cancer who had breakthrough COVID-19 shows 13% mortality rate.”
12/16/21: Josh Peterson, MD, MPH is mentioned in the VUMC Reporter article, “Two VUMC papers named among genomic medicine’s top 10.”
12/16/21: Derek Williams, MD, MPH is pictured and featured in the VUMC Reporter article, “Ess, Warren, Williams elected to American Pediatric Society.”
12/2/21: Trent Rosenbloom, M.D., MPH is quoted, and Bryan Steitz, PhD and Robert Turer, MD are mentioned in the VUMC Reporter article, “Surveys show VUMC patients value immediate online access to test results.”
12/2/21: Dario Giuse, Dr. Ing., MS is quoted in the VUMC Reporter article, “VUMC celebrates 20th anniversary of custom-built EHR.”
11/11/21: Sunil Kripalani, MD, MSc was pictured and quoted in the VUMC Reporter article, “VUMC team puts tool to reduce heart failure to test.”
11/10/21: Thomas Lasko, MD, PhD was quoted and Michael Ward, MD, PhD, MBA was mentioned in the VUMC Reporter article, “COVID test accuracy appears to vary by time of day”.
11/4/21: Adam Wright, PhD was pictured and quoted in the VUMC Reporter article, “Miller, Wright land top biomedical informatics awards.”
10/25/21: Gretchen Purcell Jackson, MD, PhD was pictured and featured in the VUMC Reporter article, “Jackson, Winkfield selected among ‘Women to Watch’ in health care.”
10/20/21: Martin Were, MD, MS and Patricia Sengstack, DNP, RN-BC were recognized as fellows elected to the American College of Medical Informatics (ACMI) in the VUMC Reporter article, “VUMC’s Were, Sengstack, Stead honored by ACMI."
10/19/21: Colin Walsh, MD, MA was pictured and quoted, Melissa McPheeters, PhD, MPH was quoted, and Michael Ripperger was mentioned in the VUMC Reporter article, “Artificial intelligence predicts opioid overdose in Tennessee."
9/8/21: IT transition a success at Vanderbilt Tullahoma-Harton Hospital: Multiple teams from across VUMC. Including several VCLIC members, recently led a transition of the clinical and IT systems at Vanderbilt Tullahoma-Harton Hospital (VTHH) in Tullahoma, TN. This effort represented a critical step in fully integrating the hospital into the Vanderbilt family. The IT transition brought several new systems and tools to VTHH, including eStar, laboratory and imaging systems, pharmacy systems, new clinical equipment, and faster and more reliable wireless networks.
9/2/21: Lee Wheless, MD, PhD, was mentioned in an article for the VUMC Reporter: “Using billing codes to count cancers.”
- 8/18/21: Sunil Kripalani, MD, was pictured and quoted in an article for the VUMC Reporter: “Collaborative helping Midstate nursing homes control COVID-19.”
- 6/16/21: Academy for Excellence in Education elects 28 new members: Among these new members is VCLIC member, Dave Johnson, MD!
- 6/9/21: Award recognizes hands-on contributions to health IT at VUMC: Chetan Aher, MD, and Wael Alrifai, MD, MS were announced as the inaugural winners of the VCLIC-sponsored Physician Builder Award. Jon Wanderer, MD, MPhil, is the director of the eStar Physician Builder Program.
- 6/3/21: Predictive model identifies patients for genetic testing: This article quotes Josh Peterson, MD, MPH, whose Center for Precision Medicine supports several of the researchers on this project.
- 5/26/21: Predicting blood clots before they happen in pediatric patients: Kevin Johnson, MD, MS is executive sponsor of AVAIL (Advanced Vanderbilt Artificial Intelligence Laboratory), which made this project possible.
- 5/18/21: Clinical informatics program named HIMSS Approved Education Partner: The Master of Science in Applied Clinical Informatics program (MSACI) was recently named an Approved Education Partner (AEP) by the Healthcare Information and Management Systems Society (HIMSS). Scott Nelson, PharmD, MS, is the program director for the MSACI at VUMC.
- 5/18/21: Rosenbloom appointed to National Library of Medicine’s Biomedical Informatics, Library and Data Sciences Review Committee: And this article covers Trent Rosenbloom, MD, MPH’s appointment to the NLM BILDS review committee.
- 5/3/21: VUMC’s Lee among group to earn Kenneth J. Arrow Award for health economics research: This article recognizes Scott Lee, MD, PhD, MPA, MPhil, professor of Medicine, who has received the Kenneth J. Arrow Award for health economics research given by the International Health Economics Association.
- 4/19/2021: Extracting accurate COVID data from scanned forms: Trent Rosenbloom, MD, MPH is a coinvestigator on this project, where the team used optical mark/character recognition software (OMR/OCR) to extract data from the scanned paper forms used for COVID patient intake.
- 4/15/2021: Health care equity focus of tech design challenge: This article did a great job summarizing our Techquity Design Challenge and celebrating the first, second, and third-place winners! Adam Wright, PhD, is quoted.
- 4/15/21: DBMI program for undergrads receives grant renewal from NSF Congratulations to Kim Unertl, PhD, principal investigator of the grant!
- 4/15/21: Team analyzed clinical notes to identify COVID symptoms Joshua Smith, PhD, Josh Peterson, MD, MPH, Trent Rosenbloom, MD, MPH, and Kevin Johnson, MD, MS, were co-authors in a study that used clinical notes, rather than solely structured data, to discover concepts related to COVID-19, such as loss of taste and smell
- 4/1/21: COVID-19 met with intensive teamwork Daniel France, PhD, MPH, was a co-author in a study on COVID-19 care teams’ connectedness
- 4/1/21: Study outlines VUMC’s strategy for a learning health care system Sunil Kripalani, MD, MSc, was co-author in this study featured by the Reporter, entitled “Learning From What We Do, and Doing What We Learn: A Learning Health Care System in Action”
- 3/25/21: Eight named to hold VUMC endowed directorships Congratulations to VCLIC Director, Adam Wright, PhD, who was named holder of the DBMI Directorship in Clinical Informatics!
- 3/19/21: COVID-19 and Cancer Consortium study highlights racial disparities, increased mortality for patients facing dual diagnoses Jeremy Warner, MD, COVID-19 & Cancer Consortium Steering Committee Member, is quoted
- 3/15/21: Artificial intelligence calculates suicide attempt risk at VUMC Research by Colin Walsh, MD, MA, and colleagues, including VCLIC Members Kevin Johnson, MD, MS, and Laurie Novak, PhD, MHSA, was recognized widely: not only was the study was published by JAMA, but it was also featured on SciTechDaily (see link below) and the VUMC Reporter. Congratulations, Drs. Walsh, Johnson, Novak, and the rest of the team!
- 3/9/21: Pediatric emergency visits, hospitalizations down sharply during pandemic: study. Derek Williams, MD, MPH, was a co-author
- 3/9/21: Johnson to step down as DBMI chair We are excited for all that Kevin Johnson, MD, MS will accomplish in his new faculty position at the University of Pennsylvania and Perelman School of Medicine. However, he will be greatly missed! Read the article to learn more about Dr. Johnson’s incredible achievements during his 19 years at VUMC.
- 2/25/21: Epic founder Faulkner highlights DBMI online seminar Our discussion with Judy Faulkner, CEO of Epic, moderated by Dara Mize, MD, was a tremendous success!
- 2/24/21: Collins takes on new VCC, IMPH leadership roles Sunil Kripalani, MD, is mentioned
- 2/23/21: Calcification after severe injury Highlights a study led by Stephanie Moore-Lotridge, PhD
- 2/11/21: Study will delve into EHR for signs of suicidality Colin Walsh, MD, MA, and his team received a $1 million contract from the FDA’s Sentinel Innovation Center to study how NLP can identify suicidal ideation and suicidal attempts in the EHR.
- 2/11/21: Ancker named vice chair for Educational Affairs in the Department of Biomedical Informatics. Kevin Johnson, MD, MS, is quoted on Jessica Ancker, PhD, MPH’s new appointment in DBMI.
- 2/4/21: Process ensures follow-up of incidental radiology findings. Travis Osterman, DO, MS, was part of the team that created a streamlined follow-up process for patients with incidental radiology findings.
- 2/5/21: Convalescent plasma improved survival in COVID-19 patients with blood cancers Jeremy Warner, MD, MS, who is the corresponding author of the study, is quoted.
- 1/28/21: Diabetes Day focuses on diversity, inclusion in research. Lindsay Mayberry, PhD, was a member of the event’s planning committee.
- 01/07/21: Building a cohort, the easy way. The Reporter highlights a paper that Joshua Smith, PhD, Dario Giuse, PhD, and others, co-authored. This paper was also presented during the 2020 AMIA Annual Symposium.
- 12/28/20: First-person essay: Doing my part to end the pandemic. Written by Kevin Johnson, MD, MS.
- 12/17/20: Year in Review 2020: Leadership appointments bolster VUMC’s missions. Josh Peterson, MD, MPH was appointed as director of the Center for Precision Medicine. Congratulations!
- 12/17/20: Heart failure study seeks to reduce hospitalizations. Michael Ward, MD, PhD, co-led a national study finding that providing self-care interventions “empower[s] [emergency department] patients to be their own coaches” and reduces unnecessary hospitalizations.
- 12/17/20: COVID-associated delays for elective services studied. This article showcases the work of several VCLIC members, including Jeremy Warner, MD, MS, Travis Osterman, DO, MS, Josh Peterson, MD, MPH, and Kevin Johnson, MD, MS. This study analyzed electronic health records to find several associations between delays and adverse outcomes, such as longer hospital stays.
- 12/16/20: Health equity’s role in pandemic response crucial. This paper, co-authored by Sunil Kripalani, MD, MS, outlines VUMC’s efforts to better understand race, ethnicity, language, and ZIP code data during the COVID-19 pandemic.
- 12/14/20: VUMC Office of Health Equity bestows Innovation Awards. A project co-led by Justin Bachmann, MD, MPH, uses Patient-Reported Outcome Measures (PROMs) to better understand health equity.
- 12/10/20: Model students: improving clinical decision-making (features a JAMIA paper co-authored by Colin Walsh, MD, MA, and Thomas Lasko, MD, PhD)
- 12/3/20: Jacob Hughey, PhD, made the “front page” of the Reporter! Team tracks sources of false positives in urine drug screens
- 12/3/20: Implementation research focus of symposium hosted by VUMC (Sunil Kripalani, MD, MSc is quoted, and Lyndsay Nelson, PhD’s, Best Poster Award is highlighted)
- 12/2/20: My Health at Vanderbilt adds End of Life Care Plan (Trent Rosenbloom, MD, MPH, is quoted)
- 12/3/20: Six Vanderbilt faculty elected as 2020 fellows of the AAAS (Matthew Weinger, MD, MS)
- 11/11/10: Patient Experience Awards honor clinical excellence (William Martinez, MD, MS and Lee Wheless, MD, PhD, were two of 368 VUMC clinicians receiving high marks from patients, earning Excellence in Patient Experience awards for the fiscal year 2020)
- 11/18/20: Peterson tapped to direct VUMC’s Center for Precision Medicine (highlights Josh Peterson, MD, MPH, and quotes Kevin Johnson, MD, MS)
- 11/10/20: Tennessee areas without mask requirements have higher death toll per capita (Melissa McPheeters, PhD, MPH)
- 11/4/20: Study tracks physician use of electronic health records (Kevin Johnson, MD, MS)
- 11/5/20: Screening younger women for hereditary cancers may be cost effective (Josh Peterson, MD, MPH)
- 10/27/20: Study finds areas without mask requirements have larger increase in COVID-19 hospitalizations (Melissa McPheeters, PhD, MPH)
- 10/15/20: Initiative seeks to extract cancer phenotypes from electronic health records (Jeremy Warner, MD, MS, FAMIA, FASCO)
- 9/24/20: Yaa Kumah-Crystal, MD, MPH, MS; Kevin Johnson, MD, MS; and Josh Denny (MD, MS), were featured in Episode 7: “The Genome Files: How #bigdata Tailors Treatment,” in the Vanderbilt Health DNA Podcast. This episode explores how big data can be used in precision medicine, how new technology can help providers, and more. What a cool episode!
- 9/22/20: Racial Equity Task Force members named (Derek Williams, MD, MPH)
- 9/2/20: The VUMC Voice featured a fantastic article highlighting the Telehealth Team and announcing that they won they Elevate Team Award. Thank you Yaa Kumah-Crystal, MD, MPH, MS; Trent Rosenbloom, MD, MPH; and several other “friends of VCLIC,” including Barron Patterson, MD; Sara Horst, MD, MPH; Cheryl Cobb, MD; and Dan Cottrell, MD, along with many others, for all the effort you put into making telemedicine a success for VUMC.
- 8/27/20: Three elected to international health informatics academy (Steve Brown, MD, MS; Brad Malin, PhD, MS, MPhil; and Martin Were, MD, MS)
- 8/27/20: Study uses AI to sort patient messages by complexity (Gretchen Jackson, MD, PhD; Lina Sulieman, PhD)
- 8/27/20: Study to track if COVID can spread during minimally invasive surgery (Gretchen Jackson, MD, PhD)
- 7/29/20: Study finds patients defer routine health care during pandemic (Adam Wright, PhD)
- 7/20/20: Post-surgical bleeding associated with more deaths when compared to blood clots after surgery (Robert Freundlich, MD)
- 7/22/20: New data offer insights on COVID treatments for people with cancer (Jeremy Warner, MD, MS)
- 7/16/20: Clickbusters program takes on EHR alert fatigue (Adam Wright, PhD; Allison McCoy, PhD; Neal Patel, MD, MPH)
- 7/9/2020: the VUMC Reporter published a story on Sunil Kripalani, MD, MSc, who was appointed the Director of the Vanderbilt Center for Health Services Research
- 7/1/20: VUMC-led network to focus on polygenic risk for common diseases (Josh Peterson, MD, MPH)
- 7/1/20: Facial recognition solves patient identification: study (Martin Were, MD, MS)
- 6/24/20: Use of VUMC’s patient portal is surging (Trent Rosenbloom, MD, MPH)
- 1/29/20: VCLIC was featured in the VUMC Reporter.
In the Press
- 5/9/22: A study by Trent Rosenbloom, MD, MPH, and coauthors (State-by-State Variability in Adolescent Privacy Laws) was mentioned in "State Laws on Teen Privacy Do Not Reflect Pediatric Standards of Care".
- 5/4/22: Allison McCoy, PhD and Adam Wright, PhD’s Clickbusters Program was written up by Nordic: “Clickbusters” can bust more than clicks
- 3/22/22: The section, “Inconsistencies Often Lead to Ineffective Drug Alerts,” of the March 22, 2022 issue of AHRQ News Now highlighted the paper, “Improving the specificity of drug-drug interaction alerts: Can it be done?”, whose authors include Thomas Reese, PharmD, PhD, Adam Wright, PhD and Siru Liu, PhD.
- 3/7/22: The Clickbusters Program was mentioned in the March 7th, 2022 Morning Update on HIStalk. The Clickbusters Program is a VCLIC initiative focused on improving safety and quality and reducing burnout through the optimization of Epic. The recently published JAMIA paper, which involved many VCLIC members, was also linked in the mention.
- 1/31/22: Gretchen P. Jackson, MD, PhD was pictured and featured as the AMIA President in her special welcome message to AMIA members.
- 1/19/22: Wael Alrifai, MD was featured in the Discover VUMC article, “Fetal Treatment Plan Flows from Mom to Neonate.”
- 8/10/21: Dr. Kumah-Crystal's work was also discussed in an article: Pushing back on the digital filing cabinet toward EHR usability, from MobilHealthNews, regarding her HIMSS Presentation.
- 8/9/21: Yaa Kumah-Crystal, MD, MS, MPH, was interviewed by HealthTech before HIMSS last week: “HIMSS21: How NLP Could Be a Game Changer for EHR Workflows
- 6/3/21: Melissa McPheeters, PhD, was quoted in The Verge “The Pandemic Showed that Big Tech Isn’t a Public Health Savior”
- 5/7/21: Christine Smith, MD, was interviewed for the NIH “Cancer Currents” Blog: Brentuximab May Mean Less Radiation for Children, Teens with Hodgkin Lymphoma
- 4/9/21: Trent Rosenbloom, MD, MPH, was in a videocast with Jeffrey Upperman, MD, on how the Cures Act impacts Pediatric Surgeons at VUMC.
- 4/7/21: VUMC Discover’s article, “An Expert-informed Regimen Database for Oncologists,” interviewed Jeremy Warner, MD.
- 4/6/21: Yaa Kumah-Crystal, MD, MPH’s innovative approaches to telehealth, or, as Dr. Kumah-Crystal puts it, “care unbound by distance, physical location, or setting,” were the main features of a Forbes article: “An Exciting, Surprisingly Imaginative, Techy Vision Of Telemedicine’s Future.”
- 3/12/21: SciTechDaily- Artificial Intelligence System Calculates Suicide Attempt Risk – Here’s How It Performed (Colin Walsh, MD, MA, Kevin Johnson, MD, MS, and Laurie Novak, PhD, MHSA)
- 12/2/20: Colin Walsh, MD, MA was a guest in the Radio Show “AirTalk”: Can AI Technology Help Prevent Suicide In Veterans And What Are The Ethical Considerations?
- Melissa McPheeters, PhD, MPH, has made several valuable contributions to public knowledge on COVID-19 and masking. Her work was highlighted in several news sources:
- September 2020: Patty Sengstack, DNP, RN also authored an ANIA Position Statement which was just released in September, regarding the burden of EHR documentation. She has been leading a group of Nursing Informatics leaders across the nation on this effort. Congrats on a fantastic accomplishment!
- October 2020: Patty Sengstack, DNP, RN, and Karen Hughart, MSN, BN were highlighted in an article in Computers, Informatics, Nursing (CIN) for their effort in sharing information during COVID-19, which was much needed at the beginning of the outbreak. Their video interview in April led to a series of 12 videos with other health systems and medical centers across the country.
- 8/21/20: The Tennessean ran an Opinion piece written by Melissa McPheeters, PhD, MPH; Ellen Wright Clayton, JD, MD; and Brad Malin, PhD: “Notify the public about COVID outbreaks in Tennessee schools”
- 7/17/20: HIStalk mentions the success of Clickbusters
- 6/24/2020: Dave Johnson, MD's work on improving care for bronchiolitis patients through optimizing Epic was featured in Discover Magazine: Reducing X-ray Overutilization in Diagnosing Bronchiolitis.
- 2/19/20: Read about our Center Director, Adam Wright, PhD, at HIStalk.