You may have heard that fresh fruits and vegetables are healthier than their frozen and canned counterparts. Produce is flash-frozen or canned at the peak of freshness. Therefore, frozen and canned produce can have nutrient contents comparable to even the freshest produce! They are available year-round and are often more cost effective. The handout below shares tips for enjoying all forms of fruits and vegetables.
Make two meals this week using canned or frozen produce in place of fresh!
- American Heart Association. Fresh, Frozen or Canned Fruits and Vegetables: All Can be Healthy Choices!
- Ellis E. Frozen Foods: Convenient and Nutritious. March 6, 2020.
- Ellis E. Fresh, Canned or Frozen: Get the Most from Your Fruits and Vegetables. January 27, 2020.
- Ellis E. Blanch Before You Freeze. June 23, 2015.
- https://www.eatright.org/homefoodsafety/four-steps/refrigerate/blanch-before-you-freeze Accessed March 11, 2020.