Faculty work includes:
Cary W. (C.J.) Stimson, Jr., MD, JD: Dr. C.J. Stimson is an Assistant Professor in the Department of Urology. Dr. Stimson:
- Serves as the Medical Director of the Office of Episodes of Care in the Office of Population Health and as Senior Advisor to the Chief Health System Officer, Vanderbilt Health System. In these roles Dr. Stimson works across Vanderbilt Health to facilitate the organization’s transition to value-based and accountable care.
- Has federal health policy experience in the legislative and executive branches.
- Served in the U.S. House of Representatives as a Health Policy Legislative Fellow to Republican and Democratic members, including Dr. Phil Roe (TN-1) and Jim Cooper (TN-5), as well as the GOP Doctors Caucus.
- Served in the executive branch, as the first surgeon at the Center for Medicare and Medicaid Innovation (CMMI), taking a leadership position as the co-chair of multiple episode-based payment policy workgroups responsible for developing federal regulations for CMMI episode payment policies.
- Plays a substantive role in federal health policy development as a Senior Advisor to the Front Office for the CMMI. He provides clinical, policy, and regulatory expertise related to the development of alternative payment models, including episode-based payment programs.
Selected Health Policy Research Publications
Learn more about our health policy work:
- The association between Medicare accountable care organization enrollment and breast, colorectal, and prostate cancer screening
- Medicare Accountable Care Organization Enrollment and Appropriateness of Cancer Screening
- The influence of provider characteristics and market forces on response to financial incentives
- Physician Competition in the Era of Accountable Care Organizations
- Surgeon Participation in Early Accountable Care Organizations
- Anticipating the Unintended Consequences of Closing the Door on Physician Self-Referral
- Doing More for More: Unintended Consequences of Financial Incentives for Oncology Specialty Care