- MD, Vanderbilt University, 1980
- MBA, University of Colorado Graduate School of Business Administration, 1976
- BA (Physics), University of Colorado, 1974
- 1987-88: Fellow in Surgery, Harvard University and Henry Fellow in Transplantation, New England Deaconess Hospital
- 1986-87: Fellow in Gastrointestinal Surgery, Lahey Clinic Medical Center
- 1985-86: Chief Resident in General Surgery, Oregon Health Sciences University
- 1983-84: American Heart Association Postdoctoral Research Fellow, Department of Physiology, Oregon Health Sciences University
- 1980-85: Intern, Resident in General Surgery, Oregon Health Sciences University
In addition to his clinical activities, Dr. Pinson regularly contributes his time and expertise to surgical education and administration. He is Chief of Staff at Vanderbilt University Hospital and Chairman of the Vanderbilt University Medical Center Medical Board. He is a Diplomate of the National Board of Medical Examiners. He is a member of the board of directors for both the Hospitality House and the Ronald McDonald House of Nashville, TN.
He belongs to numerous professional societies, among them the American Surgical Association, the American College of Surgeons, the Southern Medical Association - (Chairman, Section on Surgery), the Southeastern Surgical Congress, the Tennessee Transplant Society - (President), the Society for Surgery of the Alimentary Tract, the Society of Surgical Chairmen, the Society of Surgical Oncology, the Society of University Surgeons, the Southern Surgical Association, the Western Surgical Association and the United Network for Organ Sharing (Liver Committee 1988-present; Scientific Affairs 1992-94). He is also a member of the Collegium Internationale Chirurgiae Digestivae, the International Federation of Surgical Colleges, the International Liver Transplantation Society, the International Hepato Pancreato Biliary Association, and the International Society for Heart and Lung Transplantation.
Dr. Pinson is an active contributor to a number of regional and national committees related to his surgical interests:
Education Committee, American Association for the Study of Liver Disease (1997-2000) Surgery and Liver Transplantation Committee, American Association for the Study of Liver Disease (1997-2000)
Treasurer and Executive Committee, American Hepatopancreatobiliary Association (1997-present)
Liver and Intestinal Organ Transplantation Committee, United Network for Organ Sharing, (1988-present) Organ Procurement Committee of Tennessee Donor services