No-cost extensions should be requested when additional time beyond the established expiration date is needed to complete the original project. All requests should be submitted before the end of a project.
- eRA Commons has an Extension link available for an institution's signing official to process a no-cost extension up to one year past the project's original end date. This link is available ninety (90) days before the project's end date
- Should a grantee fail to process an NIH extension through the Commons link, the same documents required for a second NCE must be submitted to the sponsor:
- Letter to the sponsor signed by the Principal Investigator and Institutional Signing Official that details the new end date requested and reason for the extension
- Detailed budget of the remaining funds to be used
- Detailed budget justification
All no-cost extension requests should be submitted in PEER.
**Second no-cost extensions should be requested no later than thirty (30) days before a project's end date
No-Cost Extension Request Checklist
1st no-cost extension requests should be submitted in PEER:
- Do not submit to OSP for approval until Extension link is available in eRA Commons
- Click on "Grants"→"Request for 1st No-Cost Extension"
- Complete the form
- OSP will undertake the following review:
- Verify that grant terms allow no-cost extensions
- Verify that grant information matches the Coeus data
- Verify that "Reason for Request" section is complete
- Forward approval notification to VUMC Finance
- Varies by agency. Please review agency-specific terms and conditions
- No-cost extensions are emailed to OSP
*Incoming subawards require an amendment. Please contact OCM for procedural information
**2nd no-cost extension requests should be emailed to OSP, preferably ninety (90) days before expiration