- Ordering Procedures
- Requisition to Purchase Radioactive Material Form
- Package Delivery
- Completing Radioactive Material Usage Logs
- Procedure for Receiving Free Radioisotope
- Procedure for Transferring Radioisotopes to Vanderbilt
- Additional Questions
To order radioactive material you must use the Requisition to Purchase Radioactive Material form.
Orders received after 12:00 noon will be placed the next working day.
OCRS will only accept requisitions from the Principal Investigator or authorized representative. OCRS will verify that online requisitions are from an authorized PI or representative and printed requisitions must be signed by the principal investigator or representative (authorized signature).
Each Principal Investigator of radioactive material is required to notify OCRS in advance of receiving free radioactive material. This can be done by completion of a "Requisition to Purchase Radioactive Material" form. Indicate the "Cost/Unit" as free on the "Requisition to Purchase Radioactive Material" form. (See Ordering Procedures.)
Procedure for Transferring Radioisotopes to Vanderbilt
(from VA Medical Center or other institutions)
Each Principal Investigator of radioactive material is required to notify OCRS in advance of receiving transferred radioactive material. This can be done by completion of a "Requisition to Purchase Radioactive Material" form. Indicate the "Cost/Unit" as transfer on the "Requisition to Purchase Radioactive Material" form. (See Ordering Procedures.) OCRS will send the Radioactive Material Usage Log (pink sheet) for the transferred radioisotope by campus mail.
In order to consolidate the radioactive material orders, OCRS must use one purchase order number for each vendor. OCRS will mail you an invoice for the radioactive materials you have purchased and charges will be sent electronically to Accounts Payable. There will be two charges on the invoice, one for the cost of the product and one for the shipping and handling cost.
After OCRS has received and processed your order, it will be delivered to your laboratory. A trained radiation worker must be present to receive the radioactive material package when OCRS arrives at your lab. If no one is there, the package will not be delivered.
The Radioactive Material Usage Log form is distributed by OCRS with every new stock vial of radioactive material delivered to the Principal Investigator (PI). One entry is required to be logged into the RAM Usage Log form for each aliquot used from the stock vial. This form must be continually updated until the disposal of the radioactive material stock vial(s).
- Enter the initial volume taken from the stock vial into the "Volume" blank provided at the top of the RAM Usage Log.
- For each aliquot taken from the stock vial, log entry on row of RAM Usage Log starting with "Date Used" and "Volume Used."
- Log "Activity Used (uCi)" on form. "Activity Used (uCi)" is calculated by multiplying "Volume Used" by the activity per unit volume value. The activity per unit volume value is calculated by dividing the initial activity of the stock vial by the initial volume. (i.e. possible units: mCi/ml, mCi/ul, uCi/ml, or uCi/ul )
- Log "Remaining Activity" by subtracting activity used from initial activity.
- Log "Remaining Volume" by subtracting volume used from initial volume.
- Log your initials. If totals are not correct or entries are not complete, the RAM Usage Log will be returned to PI for correction.
If you have questions about ordering radioactive materials or the package delivery program, please contact Kevin Fu at email@example.com.