- Hazard Communication Standard
- Laboratory Safety Standard
- Safety & Environmental Protection in the Chemical Laboratory
- Questions about Chemical Safety Training
Hazard Communication Standard (HCS)
See also the Hazard Communication Standard .
Frequency: Initial with annual retraining
Training requirements are described here.
For more information about the Hazard Communication Standard, consult this page.
Required by: Occupational Safety & Health Act (OSHA) 1910.1450
Frequency: Initial and prior to work involving new chemical exposures.
Target Audience: Any individuals who work in research, teaching or clinical laboratories.
Class Description: This class covers the Chemical Hygiene Plan, exposure limits, health hazards, signs and symptoms associated with chemical exposures, material safety data sheets (MSDS), detection methods, PPE, protective clothing, safe work practices and emergency procedures. For more information, please consult the Lab Standard web page.
Class Schedule/Location: This training is provided by the Departmental Safety Coordinator or by OCRS on an as-requested basis. To request this training, please contact Mark Bogard by phone (936-8461) or e-mail (firstname.lastname@example.org).
For more information, consult this page about the Laboratory Standard.
Safety & Environmental Protection in the Chemical Laboratory
This training is strongly recommended for all individuals who work with chemicals in a laboratory setting. This course will satisfy non-lab specific requirements outlined in the Lab Standard for training, however, this training does not satisfy Lab Standard requirements for lab-specific training which must be provided within each lab. This course also satisfies RCRA and DOT environmental protection awareness training required for individuals who work with chemicals in a lab.
This training is available as either a two-hour lecture course or online in the Learning Exchange. You do not need to complete both the online and live versions of the course.
- To take the online training, log in to the log in to Medical Center Learning Exchange, or University Oracle Learn. Search for "chemical" and enroll in both of the following two courses Chemical and Physical Safety in the Lab AND Chemical Waste Training for Labs.
- Live training is suspended until further notice. Please send an email to Mark Bogard (email@example.com) if you have questions about live training.
- If you work in a VU or non-clinical VUMC area, have questions, please contact Mark Bogard (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- If you work in a VUMC hospital or clinical area, please contact staff in the Hospital & Clinic Safety Section.
- If you have questions about Hazard Communication Standard training, contact the webmaster.