The U.S. Department of Transportation (USDOT) requires specific training for those who ship and/or receive shipments of any kind of hazardous material, including chemicals, biological or radioactive materials. Additional training is required for hazardous material shipments transported by air under the International Air Transport Association (IATA) Dangerous Goods Regulations (DGR). If you cannot document applicable DOT training within the past three years, or within the past two years if shipping under IATA DGR, then you must contact VEHS for assistance before shipping any regulated hazardous material.
VEHS provides the following training:
- Shipping Biological Substances - USDOT and IATA Training
- Dry Ice Shipping - USDOT and IATA Training
- Regulated Medical Waste Shipping Training for Lab Researchers - USDOT Training
- Preparing Waste for Shippers of Regulated Medical & Pharmaceutical Waste Training is required for VUMC staff at Vanderbilt affiliated off-site clinics who will need to prepare hazardous waste for shipment or sign a waste manifest. (This does not apply to staff working in clinics on the main VUMC campus or on the One Hundred Oaks campus.) This training is provided online in the Learning Exchange. To enroll, log into the VUMC Learning Exchange.
- DOT Nuclear Medicine Radioactive Material Shipment Training is required for VUMC Nuclear Medicine staff who receive radioactive materials packages. This training is provided online in the VUMC Learning Exchange.