We provide multidisciplinary, state of the art therapy that utilizes techniques such as stereotactic radiosurgery, intensity modulated radiotherapy (IMRT), three dimensional treatment planning, brachytherapy, and intraoperative radiation therapy at four convenient locations. We are dedicated to improving treatment outcomes of all diseases treated with radiation and to finding new medical uses of radiation. Related to these goals is the education of graduate students, post-doctoral students and residents who will enter the field of radiation medicine including the allied field of Medical Physics.
Our team provides state-of-the-art anti-cancer therapy for patients through the use of new technology and continuous review of patient treatment outcome. We will continue to evaluate and improve the therapeutic effects of radiation from five fronts:
- Basic science research to identify new biological modifiers and therapeutic targets.
- Interaction with industry (pharmaceutical, imaging and radiotherapy) to validate the efficacy of new therapeutic tools.
- Medical physics research to improve the accuracy, precision and methods of radiotherapy delivery.
- Clinical research to study the benefits of new therapy treatments in patients.
- Development of new radiotherapy facilities throughout the region to provide the best care for all patients.
Lisa Kachnic, MD, FASTRO
Professor and Cornelius Vanderbilt Chair of Radiation Oncology