See also: N-95 Respirator Program
For staff that have already been both medically cleared and initially trained with the Powered Air Purifying Respirator (PAPR), VEHS provides open retraining sessions during the month of June. Staff or faculty must bring the PAPR they wear with a fully charged battery, hood, air flow indicator, and monthly check sheet to be retrained. Individuals will not be trained outside of a scheduled PAPR retraining session or a scheduled appointment. Open PAPR retraining dates are listed below . Individuals who need to be retrained and cannot make a scheduled event must make an appointment. Send appointment requests to firstname.lastname@example.org .
PAPR Annual Re-Training Schedule
VEHS provides initial fit-testing and training during orientation sessions for VUMC staff, VMG providers, School of Medicine faculty, VUMC house staff and medical students. If you are unable to attend one of the initial fit-test sessions for your group, you can instead participate in fit-testing and training at one of the following events.
There are currently no dates cheduled.
Directions to A-0201 MCN:
- If proceeding from the basement of VUH through the tunnel to MCN, pass the MCN post office on the right. The corridor walls will change from off-white to tan. When the walls are tan (in the B corridor), take the first corridor on the right (the S corridor). Proceed to the end of that corridor. Turn Left. A-0201 is the first door on the left.
- If coming from outside the building where it faces 21st Avenue South, go up the flight of stairs to enter through the glass doors. When you enter through the glass doors you'll be on the 1st floor in an elevator lobby. Go down one floor to the basement. When you get off the elevator go to the right a short distance and then you will see the door to A-0201 on the left.
- If coming from the outside through the main 2nd floor entrance to Medical Center North (the coffee shop on the 2nd floor), enter the building and go down the corridor from the entrance. Take a right turn at the first intersection. Follow this corridor down the length of the building. As you walk, you will need to go slightly to your left to continue going the same direction when you run into a cubicle wall. Additionally, you will need to go slightly right to continue this direction when the wall color changes after going through a set of double doors. When you reach the end of this long corridor, you will be in an elevator lobby. Go down to the basement level in the elevator. When you exit, turn right immediately and walk to the end of this room. Turn left and you will walk into A-0201.
Check Compliance Status
Employees can log in to the Health & Wellness Information Portal to find out if they are due for their annual PAPR retraining. This page provides instructions on how an employee can check compliance.
References & Policies
Regulations, the VUMC Respiratory Protection Program & VUMC Policies:
- The OSHA Respiratory Protection Standard (29 CFR 1910.134).
- The VUMC Respiratory Protection Program
- VUMC Policies
- Isolation – Infection Control Precautions to Prevent Transmission of Contagious Infections describes the use of N-95 respirators to provide protection from exposure to airborne endemic diseases.
- Handling of Hazardous and/or Cytotoxic Drugs and VUMC Pharmacy Departmental Policy Hazardous Medication Handling describes situations when it is necessary to wear an N-95 respirator while working with hazardous drugs.
Send questions about PAPRs to email@example.com or contact someone in the Hospital/Clinic Safety section.