Note: The respirator email address has changed to email@example.com.
VEHS staff provide annual N-95 respirator fit-testing to several thousands of VUMC personnel who are covered under the VUMC Respiratory Protection Program because they are exposed to endemic or novel infectious respiratory hazards or they may be exposed to hazardous aerosolized pharmaceuticals.
Individuals will not be fit-tested outside of a scheduled fit-testing session or a scheduled appointment. Open fit-test dates are listed below. Individuals who need to be fit-tested and cannot make a scheduled fit-testing event must make an appointment. Individuals who have been told they will require fit-testing using the Port-a-Count instrument and individuals who need Powered Air Purifying Respirator (PAPR) training must also make an appointment. Send appointment requests to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Initial N95 Particulate Respirator Approval Form: This form is provided at fit-testing events. If you need to complete the N95 Medical Evaluation form, you can complete it in one of two different ways:
- Complete the form online. If you do not know which one you should complete, send an email to email@example.com, asking which of these forms to fill out. You do not need to fill out both forms.
Download the N95 Respirator Health Questionnaire, complete it, and fax it to the Vanderbilt Occupational Health Clinic at 615-936-0966.
N95 Particulate Respirator Approval Form, Annual Refit-Testing:
Complete section 1 of this form and bring it with you to your fit-testing session only if you have been previously fit-tested with an N-95 respirator at VUMC.
Employees can log in to the Health & Wellness Information Portal to find out if they are due for their annual fit-test and/or if they need to complete the medical questionnaire. This page provides instructions on how an employee can check compliance.
Managers and supervisors can determine whether or not their department must be fit-tested by running the report titled "Record of Compliance in OHC" in Business Objects. (Instructions are available here).
N-95 Respirator Fit-testing and Training References
- Exposure to Airborne Endemic Diseases
- N-95 Respirators for use with Hazardous Drugs
- Fit-testing for Staff with Facial Hair
- If you have further questions, refer to this video from Emory University.
Departments Required to Have Annual N-95 Respirator Fit-testing
These documents indicate which departments are required to have annual N-95 respirator fit-testing and which are not required to have annual fit-testing.
Where Do You Get Your Respirator?
N-95 respirators are available from the Service Centers and from Central Supply. VEHS does not supply respirators.
Regulations, the VUMC Respiratory Protection Program & VUMC Policies:
- The OSHA Respiratory Protection Standard (29 CFR 1910.134).
- The VUMC Respiratory Protection Program
- VUMC Policies
- Isolation – Infection Control Precautions to Prevent Transmission of Contagious Infections describes the use of N-95 respirators to provide protection from exposure to airborne endemic diseases.
- Handling of Hazardous and/or Cytotoxic Drugs and Pharmacy SOP - Hazardous Medication and Product Handling describes situations when it is necessary to wear an N-95 respirator while working with hazardous drugs.
Regularly scheduled fit-testing for individuals (does not include fit-testing for animal allergens)
Registration is not required; individuals will be fit-tested in the order they arrive. However, please note that space is limited, so supervisors should not send groups of more than five people at the same time. Please also note that participants should not bring children to these events as there is no space to accommodate them and VEHS staff members are not available to supervise them. Fit-testing usually takes about 30 minutes. Initial fit-testing and training may take longer.
VEHS cannot guarantee staff will be available to fit-test individuals outside of scheduled events. If you or your staff are unable to attend any of these scheduled events, please Request Fit-Testing for groups or individuals.
Please bring the following documentation:
- Participants who have been fit-tested before at VUMC should attend one of the Annual Refit-Testing Events. Bring a completed Annual Refit-Testing Form. If necessary, individuals who need their Annual Re-Fit can also attend Initial Fit-Test events. However, at scheduled Initial Fit-test events, priority will be given to individuals who require initial fit-testing.
- Participants who have never been fit-tested at VUMC should attend one of the Initial Fit-Test Events . Bring a completed Initial N95 Particulate Respirator Approval Form.
|2/12/2019||11:00 AM - 1:30 PM||One Hundred Oaks - room 26115|
|2/14/2019||7:30 - 10:00 AM||A-0201 MCN|
|2/19/2019||11:00 AM - 1:30 PM||A-0201 MCN|
|2/28/2019||7:30 - 10:00 AM||A-0201 MCN|
|3/7/2019||10:00 AM - 3:30 PM||CAVE - VCH 2nd floor theater|
|3/8/2019||6:00 AM - 1:30 PM||CAVE - VCH 2nd floor theater|
|3/12/2019||11:00 AM - 1:30 PM||A-0201 MCN|
|3/21/2019||7:30 - 10:00 AM||A-0201 MCN|
|3/26/2019||11:00 AM - 1:30 PM||A-0201 MCN|
|4/2/2019||11:00 AM - 1:30 PM||One Hundred Oaks - room 26115|
|4/4/2019||7:30 - 10:00 AM||A-0201 MCN|
|4/9/2019||11:00 AM - 1:30 PM||A-0201 MCN|
|4/18/2019||7:30 - 10:00 AM||A-0201 MCN|
|4/24/2019||7 AM - 5 PM||Hands On - Langford Auditorium|
|4/25/2019||7 AM - 5 PM||Hands On - Langford Auditorium|
|5/16/0019||10:00 AM - 6:30 PM||CAVE - VCH 2nd floor theater|
|5/17/2019||6:00 AM - 2:30 PM||CAVE - VCH 2nd floor theater|
|5/29/2019||7 AM - 5 PM||Hands On - Langford Auditorium|
|5/30/2019||7 AM - 5 PM||Hands On - Langford Auditorium|
VEHS provides initial fit-testing and training during orientation sessions for VUMC staff, VMG providers, School of Medicine faculty, VUMC house staff and medical students. If you are unable to attend one of the initial fit-test sessions for your group, you can instead participate in fit-testing and training at one of the following events.
|2/25/2019||7:30 - 9:00 AM||A-0201 MCN|
|3/11/2019||7:30 - 9:00 AM||A-0201 MCN|
|3/25/2019||7:30 - 9:00 AM||A-0201 MCN|
|4/8/2019||7:30 - 9:00 AM||A-0201 MCN|
|4/22/2019||7:30 - 9:00 AM||A-0201 MCN|
We cannot fit-test the following individuals during any scheduled sessions:
- Those who have facial hair anywhere the respirator sits on the face cannot be fit tested with an N95 respirator. Please refer to Fit-testing for Staff with Facial Hair.
- Those who need a quantitative fit-test (which involves the use of a Port-a-Count machine) cannot be fit-tested at these scheduled sessions and instead will need to send appointment requests to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Those who need to be fit tested with an N-95 respirator due to an animal allergy are not fitted during these regularly scheduled sessions. Please refer to N-95 respirator fit-testing for employees with an animal allergy for more information.
- Those who use a power air-purifying respirator (PAPR) because they cannot wear an N95 respirator cannot be fit tested during these sessions. Please contact email@example.com to set up an appointment for annual training.
Directions to A-0201 MCN:
- If proceeding from the basement of VUH through the tunnel to MCN, pass the MCN post office on the right. The corridor walls will change from off-white to tan. When the walls are tan (in the B corridor), take the first corridor on the right (the S corridor). Proceed to the end of that corridor. Turn Left. A-0201 is the first door on the left.
- If coming from outside the building where it faces 21st Avenue South, go up the flight of stairs to enter through the glass doors. When you enter through the glass doors you'll be on the 1st floor in an elevator lobby. Go down one floor to the basement. When you get off the elevator go to the right a short distance and then you will see the door to A-0201 on the left.
- If coming from the outside through the main 2nd floor entrance to Medical Center North (the coffee shop on the 2nd floor), enter the building and go down the corridor from the entrance. Take a right turn at the first intersection. Follow this corridor down the length of the building. As you walk, you will need to go slightly to your left to continue going the same direction when you run into a cubicle wall. Additionally, you will need to go slightly right to continue this direction when the wall color changes after going through a set of double doors. When you reach the end of this long corridor, you will be in an elevator lobby. Go down to the basement level in the elevator. When you exit, turn right immediately and walk to the end of this room. Turn left and you will walk into A-0201.
Request fit-testing for groups
Fit-testing for a minimum of 15 people within a one hour period can be requested for a group within a department or unit. VEHS will not schedule fit-testing within a department unless this minimum number is reasonably certain. When planning your fit-test event, you should allow for at least one month's advance notice when you submit your request. Please keep in mind that available dates fill up quickly from January through March, and it is best to make requests for this period as soon as possible.
To request a scheduled fit-test event for a group, supervisors should send a message to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include the location (building and room number), an estimated number of individuals who will be in attendance and a contact phone number.
Supervisors should instruct participants who require refit-testing to bring a completed Annual Refit-Testing Form when they go to be fit-tested; if someone has not been fit-tested previously at VUMC, or if someone has experienced a change in how they would respond to any questions in the medical questionnaire section of the initial fit-test form, they should instead bring a completed Initial Fit-Test Form.
Request fit-testing for individuals
Send questions about respirators or fit-testing to email@example.com or contact someone in the Hospital/Clinic Safety section.