VUMC departments, units, and clinics are surveyed to evaluate employee, patient, and visitor safety and regulatory compliance with federal, state and local regulations, standards from accrediting organizations, such as Joint Commission, and VUMC policies. The Environment of Care Reference Manual is used to assist with maintaining compliance and is available on the VUMC Policies web site.
An EOC survey team performs an EOC survey in all clinical and clinical support sites at least once every six months, and an annual survey is performed in Medical Center areas where patients are not served.
EOC survey teams are composed of VUMC employees who volunteer to assist with the process. Team members are from a variety of departments and specialties including: Accreditation and Standards, Infection Control, Environmental Health and Safety, Pharmacy, Clinical Laboratory, Radiology, VUH and VCH Administration, Facilities Management, Clinical Engineering, Environmental Services, Central Supply, Emergency Preparedness, Nursing Services, and VPH.
If you would like to volunteer to participate on a survey team, send a message to email@example.com .
These survey tools can be used to assess safety, quality, and compliance with regulations and licensing requirements.
Primary Survey Forms
One of these forms will be used in all VUMC areas:
- EOC survey form for Adult Outpatient areas
- EOC survey form for Pediatric Outpatient areas
- EOC survey form for Off-site Outpatient areas
- EOC survey form for Adult Inpatient areas
- EOC survey form for Pediatric Inpatient areas
- EOC survey form for Ancillary areas
- EOC survey form for Public areas
- EOC survey form for Retail areas
Supplemental Survey Forms:
- EOC survey form for Nutrition areas that manage food preparation and distribution
- EOC survey form for Compressed Gas storage areas
- EOC survey form for areas where Ultrasound machines are used
- EOC survey form for areas where Sterilization procedures & High Level Disinfection are performed
- EOC survey form for Nuclear Medicine areas
- EOC survey form for areas where Radiation-Producing Machines are used
Monthly Medication Survey Forms:
Refrigerator/Freezer Temperature & Cleaning Log Forms
The Refrigerator/Freezer Temperature and Cleaning Log forms are available on e-docs. To locate these forms, search for keyword "refrigerator."
This checklist is used as log for monitoring oxygen, suction and barrier devices for mouth-to-mouth resuscitation in patient care areas not covered by a CPR Team.
The following references explain requirements for some of the topics that are evaluated during EOC surveys.
- Unit General Information
- Unit Medication Fast Facts
- Refrigerator/Freezer & Irrigation Solutions/Blanket Warmer Temperature Monitoring
- Eye Wash Requirements
- Fire Door Requirements
- EOC Checklist for Off-site Outpatient Areas
The survey program is managed by VEHS staff in the Hospital/Clinic Safety & Training section.
The Environment of Care Management System is an online database used to manage the surveys that are required twice each year for all clinical areas. The system allows managers to log in and respond to any problems discovered during a survey through a convenient web-based interface. Managers can use this system to look for problems and implement corrective action plans for their units.
If you have questions about EOC surveys, please contact Susan Johnson (343-2242).