Print (PDF) version of this document

Centers for Disease Control (CDC) Etiologic Agent Import Permits

This permit is required for import of any agent that is infectious to humans or biological materials that are suspected to contain such an agent. Some animal hosts and vectors (i.e., snails, arthropods, bats) that play a role in transmitting infection to humans also require a CDC permit.

Website for more information:

US Department of Agriculture Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service (USDA APHIS) Permits

  •  Veterinary Services Import/Export Permits 
     A USDA veterinary permit is generally needed for materials derived from animals or exposed to animal-source materials. Examples include: animal tissues, blood, cells or cell lines of livestock or poultry origin, RNA/DNA extracts, hormones, enzymes, monoclonal antibodies for IN VIVO use in non-human species, certain polyclonal antibodies, antisera, bulk shipments of test kit reagents, and microorganisms including bacteria, viruses, protozoa, and fungi.
  • Plant Protection & Quarantine Import/Export Permits
    APHIS-PPQ safeguards agriculture and natural resources from the risks associated with the entry, establishment, or spread of animal and plant pests and noxious weeds. Plant pathogens, pests, noxious weeds, or materials that may contain these are likely to require a PPQ permit.
  • Biotechnology Regulatory Services Permits
    The Biotechnology Regulatory Services (BRS) program regulates the field testing, movement, and importation of genetically engineered (GE) organisms that are known to be, or could be plant pests. BRS issues various types of permits for each of these activities.

Web site for more information about any of the USDA APHIS permits:

Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora (CITES) Permits

CITES (the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora) is an international agreement between governments. Its aim is to ensure that international trade in specimens of wild animals and plants does not threaten their survival and this is supported through this organization’s permit process.

Website for more information:


The U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service issues permits under various wildlife laws and treaties at different offices at the national, regional, and/or wildlife port levels.

Website for more information:

Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency (TWRA) Import and Collection Permits

Live wildlife animal species may require a TWRA importation permit before being brought into the state of Tennessee.   
Link to the regulation:

A scientific collector’s permit may be required for capture of certain species for study in Tennessee.

TWRA website for contact information about these state requirements: