Postgrad: McGill University (Montreal, Canada)
Medical School: Peking University (Beijing, China)
Number of publications: 20
Number of presentations (poster and podium): 13
Residency research project/ sub-specialty interest:
1. Development of electronic medical record (EMR) - based bioinformatics algorithm to identify rotator cuff tear
2. Genome - wide association study of degenerative rotator cuff tear
Subspecialty interest: Sports Medicine / Gait, Amputation, and Prosthesis & Orthosis
After obtaining my MD from Peking University, I completed orthopedic surgery residency in Beijing. I became interested in learning more about tissue healing during my residency and I pursed a PhD study in skeleton regenerative medicine at McGill University in Canada. I guess my motivation in providing patient care is encoded in my gene so I decided to go back to clinical arena and do a residency in physiatry, a new concept I learned in Canada. I have been thrilled to find out this specialty is such a perfect niche for me and pumped to start my career as physiatrist at Vanderbilt.
- Gao C. Yang A. Patellar Dislocations: Review of Current Literature and Return to Play Potential Current Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation Reports. Springer; 2018 Mar;6(2). 161–170. Full text
- Dabija DI, Gao C, Edwards TL, Kuhn JE, Jain NB. Genetic and familial predisposition to rotator cuff disease: a systematic review. Journal of shoulder and elbow surgery. 2017 Jun;26(6). 1103-1112. PMID: 28162885 [PubMed]. PMCID: PMC5438768. NIHMSID: NIHMS849812.
- Yang AJ, Coronado RA, Hoffecker L, Gao C, Saurwein K, Shoreman D, Hoffberg AS, Akuthota V. Conservative Care in Lumbar Spine Surgery Trials: A Descriptive Literature Review. Archives of physical medicine and rehabilitation. 2016 Aug 26. PMID: 27576191 [PubMed].