Vanderbilt's Regional Anesthesiology and Acute Pain Medicine fellowship was established in 2009 and accredited during the first cycle of accreditation for the specialty in the Fall of 2016. The program accepts 2 fellows each year. The fellowship is split between several sites.
- Vanderbilt University Medical Center (VUMC): a large, quaternary care hospital and level 1 trauma center that is among the top 5 busiest trauma centers in the country.
- Fast-paced ambulatory orthopedic surgery centers with further expansion plans
- Monroe Carell Jr. Children’s Hospital, a VUMC adjacent children's hospital with acute and chronic pediatric pain programs
- Vanderbilt Psychiatric Hospital
- Kijabe Hospital, Kijabe, Kenya, the site of an optional international regional anesthesia elective
Aside from the clinical experience, the curriculum is focused on a broad range of areas, leveraging our superb faculty to provide exposure to an array of topics including deep dives into anatomy, practice and service management, ERAS principles and practice, classic and emerging techniques for regional, informatics, education techniques, etc.
In summary, Vanderbilt combines a world-class clinical experience with training in the breadth of regional techniques, a deep focus on education, and clinical rotations that cannot be matched.
Brian Allen, MD
Program Director, Regional Anesthesia and Acute Pain Medicine Fellowship
For more information, contact:
Denise Jarrett Brown
Fellowship Rotations include:
Regional Anesthesia and Acute Pain:
- > 7000 blocks per year across all sites
- High volume of epidural and peripheral nerve catheters, including management chest and extremity trauma
- Home peripheral nerve catheter program
- Focus on perioperative medicine, including enhanced recovery (ERAS) programs
- Training in multimodal analgesia and opioid minimization
- A multidisciplinary team, including faculty, fellows, residents, & NPs
Ambulatory regional anesthesia:
- Ambulatory surgery centers with a private-practice feel
- Focus on speed, efficiency, and high volume single-injection and peripheral nerve catheters
International Regional Anesthesia (optional):
- 4-week, regional anesthesia-focused rotation at a hospital in Kenya
- Vanderbilt has a full-time faculty member there throughout the year as medical director of their operating suites
- Heavy use of neuraxial and peripheral regional anesthesia
- ACGME-approved rotation, minimizing logistical barriers
- Opportunities for travel and expense funding
- Large, academic children’s hospital
- Hybrid acute/chronic/regional pain experience
- A focus on pediatric ERAS
- Learn to manage opioid withdrawal
- Education in buprenorphine initiation and management
- First-hand experience of the personal toll of the opioid crisis
- Gain perspective on what is at stake when patients are placed on perioperative opioids
Adult Chronic Pain:
- Inpatient chronic pain service and outpatient cancer pain clinics
- Participate with basic procedures as well as neurolytics and implants
- Perform intraoral nerve blocks for dental procedures
- A distinctive experience offered by few other fellowships
Obstetric Anesthesia (optional):
- Almost 5,000 deliveries per year with a focus on high-risk obstetrics
How to apply
Send the following to the fellowship coordinator:
1) Current CV
2) Personal Statement
3) Three letters of recommendation (including one from residency program director)
4) USMLE scores
5) In-Training Exam (ITE) scores
Contact Person: Denise Jarrett Brown, Program Coordinator
Department of Anesthesiology
1211 21st Avenue Medical Center Drive
Nashville, TN 37232-5614
Phone: (615) 936-3198
Fax: (615) 936-6493
Brian F. S. Allen, M.D., Fellowship Director
Other affiliated faculty:
Vik Bansal, M.D.
Clifford Bowens, M.D.
Eric Briggs, M.D.
Jeff Clemmons, M.D.
Lane Crawford, M.D.
David Edwards, M.D., PhD
Andrew Franklin, M.D., M.B.A.
Raj Gupta, M.D.
Vanderbilt University Medical Center
AIC Kijabe Hospital
Vanderbilt Bone and Joint Surgery Center
Vanderbilt Orthopedic Surgicenter
Monroe Carell Jr. Children’s Hospital
Vanderbilt Psychiatric Hospital
Approximate Salary: $66,034 with $2,390 CME funds; opportunities for moonlighting after 4 months if meeting fellowship milestones. Additional funding for international rotation and conferences.
Category: Acute Pain/Regional Anesthesia
Duration: 12 months
Number of Positions: 2
Application deadline: Until positions are filled