The Academy for Excellence in Clinical Medicine (AECM) was established in 2021. The mission of AECM is to honor exemplary clinicians who combine humanism, professionalism, and a passion for patient care with a scholarly approach to improving patient health and who will establish a community of leaders to promote clinical excellence.
The Academy is a collective of outstanding clinical faculty members in the School of Medicine who are highly engaged in the clinical mission. Each strives to have a significant impact on clinical endeavors in diverse settings with a variety of learners, patients, and peers.
Howard B.A. Baum, M.D.
Associate Professor of Medicine
Thomas Brent Graham, M.D., M.S.
Associate Professor of Pediatrics
2021 AECM Nominations are Now Open!
Qualifications for nomination
- Must be a faculty clinician in the School of Medicine
- Must devote >50% effort to clinical care
- Faculty clinicians who typically do not have patient contact are eligible (pathology, radiology, etc.)
- Non-M.D. faculty clinicians are eligible if they meet other qualifications
- Must be employed at VUMC for a minimum of 5 years at the time of call for nominations and an active member of the clinical faculty at the time of the award
- Minimum 4.5 Star rating on Press Ganey patient evaluations
Call for nominations process
- All clinical faculty will receive the request for nominations notice
- For a nominee to move forward in the process, the faculty member must receive a minimum of three nominations.
- The selection committee will be constituted with physician leaders from within the institution.
- If a nominee moves forward, a rigorous review process will include a personal statement and letters from faculty, staff, learners, and patients and their families.
Nominations are complete for 2021!