The Academy for Excellence in Clinical Medicine (AECM) was established in 2021. The mission of AECM is to honor exemplary clinicians who combine humanism, professionalism, and a passion for patient care with a scholarly approach to improving patient health and who will establish a community of leaders to promote clinical excellence.
The Academy is a collective of outstanding clinical faculty members in the School of Medicine who are highly engaged in the clinical mission. Each strives to have a significant impact on clinical endeavors in diverse settings with a variety of learners, patients, and peers.
Howard B.A. Baum, MD
Associate Professor of Medicine
Thomas Brent Graham, MD, MS
Associate Professor of Pediatrics
Qualifications for Nomination
- Must be a faculty clinician in the School of Medicine
- Must devote at least 50% effort to clinical care
- Faculty clinicians who typically do not have patient contact are eligible (pathology, radiology, etc.)
- Non-M.D. faculty clinicians are eligible if they meet other qualifications
- Must be employed at VUMC for a minimum of 5 years at the time of call for nominations and an active member of the clinical faculty at the time of the award
- Minimum 4.5 Star rating on Press Ganey patient evaluations
Call for Nominations Process
- For a nominee to move forward in the process, the faculty member must receive a minimum of three nominations.
- The selection committee will be constituted with physician leaders from within the institution.
- If a nominee moves forward, a rigorous review process will include a personal statement and letters from faculty, staff, learners, and patients and their families.
- Promote excellence through education and mentoring of faculty and trainees
- Plan and attend annual symposium on clinical excellence
- Serve as subcommittee members of the Academy
- Attend Academy events and meetings
2023 AECM Nominations are Open
Nominations close on Sunday, July 30, 2023, at 11:59 pm.
For more information about Academy for Excellence in Clinical Medicine (AECM), please contact the Academy Directors:
Associate Professor, Medicine
Associate Professor, Pediatrics
For questions about AECM nomination or application materials, please contact:
Associate Dean, Faculty Development
Senior Program Manager, Faculty Development