The Department of Biostatistics is excited to offer our Vanderbilt Biostatistics Summer Internship for Underrepresented Undergraduates. Its goal is to expose underrepresented groups of undergraduate students to biomedical and/or public health research with quantitative methods, and ultimately to increase underrepresented students’ interest in pursuing graduate degrees in biostatistics or data science.
This six-week in-person summer program will run from May 8 to June 16, 2023. Interns will be directly mentored by experienced researchers as they gain valuable experience in the biostatistics field. They will work on a research project, complete weekly assignments, and deliver a formal oral presentation at the end of the summer program. There will also be opportunities for discussion and training on topics such as writing abstracts, personal statements, and résumés.
The program specifically focuses on students of diverse backgrounds, and in particular students from underrepresented groups. Up to five internships may be available, each with a stipend of up to $4,000. Housing is not included.
See our blog for a report on the 2022 internships.
Who is eligible?
Undergraduate students who . . .
- are U.S. citizens or permanent residents.
- are from underrepresented groups.
- have completed at least one year of their program of study.
Please submit the following:
- a statement (500 words maximum) that describes what interests you about this program, your goals for this experience, and how it will help you achieve your professional goals
- a résumé or curriculum vitae
- a letter of good standing from your current institution
- contact information for one recommender (we will send them instructions on how to upload their letter)
- a transcript from your current institution (an unofficial copy is acceptable)
The due date for applications is February 20, 2023. When you are ready, enter the application portal.
Leena Choi, Professor of Biostatistics and Vice Chair of Diversity and Inclusion
Chazlie Miller, Biostatistics Graduate Program Manager