Neil Osheroff, PhD, Director
The Academy for Excellence in Education was established in November of 2006. Our Founding membership was comprised of 44 Distinguished Medical Educators. The collective currently consists of 110 faculty. The Academy provides a forum to foster higher levels of participation and promote excellence and scholarship in the delivery of education to health professionals.
The Academy is a collective of outstanding faculty educators in the School of Medicine who are highly engaged in the educational mission. Each strives to have a significant impact on educational endeavors in diverse settings with a variety of learners.
2019 Academy Board:
- Neil Osheroff, PhD, Director (2018-2020)
- Joseph Gigante, MD, Director-at-large (2018-2020)
- Many Romano, MD, member-at-large (2018-2020)
- Kim Dahlman, PhD, member-at-large| (2017-2019)
- Lourdes Estrada, PhD, member-at-large (2017-2019)
- Robert Carnahan, PhD, member-at-large (2018-2020)
- Bonnie Miller, MD, Senior Associate Dean for Health Sciences Education, Executive Vice President for Educational Affairs, (ex officio)
- Donald Brady, MD, Senior Associate Dean for Graduate Medical Education and Continuing Professional Development (ex officio)
- Bill Cutrer, MD, MEd, Associate Dean for Undergraduate Medical Education (ex officio)
Health Sciences Education Grand Rounds 2018
- Monday, April 3, 2018, 12:00 - 1:00, Light Hall 202 - Patricia O'Sullivan, EdD.
Vanderbilt School of Medicine’s Annual John Chapman, M.D., Distinguished Flexner Deans' Lectureship was held on Monday, April 23, 2018 with Dr. Aviad Haramati who also served as the guest speaker for the 2018 Academy Annual Recognition Dinner that evening.
Nine new members were selected for the 2018 Vanderbilt Academy for Excellence in Education (AEE) and seven were recognized at the annual dinner. In addition to the recognition of new members, two faculty educators were honored. The Geoffrey David Chazen Award for Innovation in Medical Education was presented to Heather Davidson, PhD, and the Lillian B. Nanney Award for Outstanding Service to VUSM/VUMC Community of Educators was presented to Don Moore, PhD.
Coming up for 2019:
SAVE-THE-DATE - 2018 Academy Annual Recognition Dinner - Monday, April 29, 2019 - University Club of Nashville
Health Sciences Education Grand Rounds 2017
- Monday, January 23, 2017, 12:00 - 1:00, Light Hall 202 - Don Moore, PhD
- Monday, February 6, 2017, 12:00 - 1:00, Light Hall 202 - Graham McMahon, MD, MMSc, President and CEO, ACCME
- Monday, March 20, 2017, 12:00 - 1:00, Light Hall 202 - Kay Lund, PhD, UNC Chapel Hill
- Monday, June 5, 2017, 12:00 - 1:00 Light Hall 202 - David Hirsh, MD, Harvard Medical School
- Monday, October 2, 2017, 12:00 - 1:00 Light Hall 202 - Stanley Hamstra, PhD, ACGME
- Monday, October 30, 2017, 12:00 - 1:00 Light Hall TBD - Tracy Fulton, PhD, UCSF
- The Academy for Excellence in Education Recognition Dinner was held April 24, 2017 and welcomed 13 new members.
- Vanderbilt School of Medicine’s Annual John Chapman, M.D., Distinguished Flexner Deans' Lectureship was held on Monday, April 24, 2017 - the noon presentation was "Educating Health Professionals in the 21st Century: What Will We Need Humans For?"
Speaker: Brian Hodges, MD, PhD, FRCPC
Executive Vice-President Education, University Health Network Professor, Department of Psychiatry, University of Toronto Scientist, Wilson Centre for Research in Education Richard and Elizabeth Currie Chair in Health Professions Education Research Senior Fellow, Massey College Senior Strategy Advisor, The AMS Phoenix Project Twitter @BDHodges1
- SAVE-THE-DATE - Academy Quarterly Commons Meeting- Monday, July 31, 2017 - Children's Hospital Boardroom - 5:50 - 7:30 pm
- Winter Quarterly Commons Meeting
Thursday, January 7, 2016
Monroe Carell Jr. Children's Theater, 5:30 - 7:30 pm
- Vanderbilt School of Medicine’s Annual John Chapman, M.D., Distinguished Flexner Lectureship:
Monday, April 18, 2016 - 12:00 noon
Leslie Fall, M.D., Professor of Pediatrics, Associate Dean of Faculty Development, Geisel School of Medicine
- The Academy for Excellence in Teaching Recognition Dinner was held April 18, 2016 and welcomed 5 new members.
The Academy for Excellence in Teaching Recognition Dinner was held April 13, 2015 and welcomed 10 new members.
Congratulations to the Sept. 22, 2014 Health Professions Education Research Day 1st Place Poster Winners!
Jennifer Green, MD, MPH, Bill Cutrer, MD, M.Ed, Mike Fowler, MD, Cathy Pettepher, PhD, Kim Lomis, MD