Curated by the Vanderbilt Committee on Opioid Monitoring and Stewardship (VCOMS)
The Vanderbilt Committee on Opioid Monitoring and Stewardship (VCOMS) was established in October 2018 and reports to the Controlled Substances Quality Oversight Committee. VCOMS is chaired by Tyler Barrett, MD, MSCI, Executive Medical Director of Emergency Services. Committee members are from various areas of VUMC including Pain Medicine, Emergency Medicine, Anesthesiology, Quality, Safety and Risk Prevention, Pharmacy, Data Analytics, Pediatric Surgery, Colorectal Surgery, Graduate Medical Education and Advanced Practice Nursing.
VCOMS is charged with overseeing VUMC's opioid and controlled substance prescribing data as well as monitoring prescribing practices mandated by federal and state laws. This website has been created as a resource for VUMC prescribers and employees on opioid and controlled substances prescribing.
- TN Together Law (click here)
- TN Together Law Info Graphic (click here)
- TN Together Law FAQs (click here)
- TN CSMD Web Portal (click here)
- CMS: Reducing Opioid Misuse Roadmap (click here)
- To access more information on VUMC smart phrases, consents and flow charts, you must log in using your VUMC VUnetID (click here to login)
TN Together Law Handouts
- How to get rid of old and unused opioid (narcotic) medications (click here)
- Using DisposeRx to get rid of unused opioid medications (click here)
- Narcan and you: What you need to know (click here)
- How to use Narcan nasal spray (click here)
- How to inject EVIZIO (click here)
- How to recognize Substance Use Disorder (click here)
The following publications have been produced based on data provided by VCOMS.
- Johnson SP, Wormer BA, Silvestrini R, Perdikis G, Drolet BC. Reducing Opioid Prescribing After Ambulatory Plastic Surgery With an Opioid-Restrictive Pain Protocol. Ann Plast Surg. 2020 Jun;84(6S Suppl 5):S431-S436. doi: 10.1097/SAP.0000000000002272. PMID: 32032123.
- Long EA, Johnson SP, Valmadrid A, Wormer BA, Drolet BC, Perdikis G. Plastic Surgery Patient Expectations for Postoperative Opioid Prescriptions. Ann Plast Surg. 2020 Jun;84(6S Suppl 5):S437-S440. doi: 10.1097/SAP.0000000000002268. PMID: 32039997.
- Barrett T W, McEvoy M D, Fowler L C, et al. (September 21, 2021) Impact of an Asynchronous Spaced Education Learning Intervention on Emergency Medicine Clinician Opioid Prescribing. Cureus 13(9): e18165. doi:10.7759/cureus.18165