Pharmeceutical Policy, Pharmacoepidemiology, Cancer Outcomes Research
Dr. Dusetzina is an associate professor in the Department of Health Policy and an Ingram associate professor of cancer research at Vanderbilt. She is a health services researcher whose work focuses on measuring and evaluating population-level use and costs of medications in the United States. Dr. Dusetzina’s work has contributed to the evidence base for the role of drug costs on patient access to care and policy changes that might improve patient access to high-priced drugs.
She has been recognized for her work at a national level, including being an invited participant for two working group meetings on “Patient Access to Affordable Cancer Drugs,” hosted by the President’s Cancer Panel, and being selected to co-author a National Academies of Sciences, Engineering and Medicine report on the same topic. Dr. Dusetzina’s research has also been broadly covered by NPR, Reuters, The Washington Post, STAT News, ABC News and The Wall Street Journal.
In addition to her work on drug pricing, Dr. Dusetzina is a population health scientist and pharmacoepidemologist specializing in large data informatics. She has authored or co-authored over 85 peer reviewed applied studies using Medicaid, Medicare, and commercial insurance claims data, and contributed several methods papers to the field.
- Hickson RP, Cole AL, Dusetzina SB. Implications of Removing Rosiglitazone's Black Box Warning and Restricted Access Program on the Uptake of Thiazolidinediones and Dipeptidyl Peptidase-4 Inhibitors Among Patients with Type 2 Diabetes. Journal of managed care & specialty pharmacy. 2019 Jan;25(1). 72-79. PMID: 30589625 [PubMed].
- Winn AN, Dusetzina SB. More evidence on the limited impact of state oral oncology parity laws. Cancer. 2018 Dec 19. PMID: 30566761 [PubMed].
- Bushnell GA, Dusetzina SB, Compton SN, Gaynes BN, Brookhart MA, Stürmer T. Psychotherapy Claims Surrounding Pharmacotherapy Initiation in Children and Adolescents with Anxiety Disorders. Journal of child and adolescent psychopharmacology. 2018 Dec 19. PMID: 30565956 [PubMed].
- Leech AA, Dusetzina SB. Cost-Effective But Unaffordable: The CAR-T Conundrum. Journal of the National Cancer Institute. 2018 Dec 17. PMID: 30561705 [PubMed].
- Dusetzina SB, Mello MM. Disclosing Prescription-Drug Prices in Advertisements - Legal and Public Health Issues. The New England journal of medicine. 2018 Nov 14. PMID: 30428275 [PubMed].
- Bushnell GA, Gaynes BN, Compton SN, Dusetzina SB, Brookhart MA, Stürmer T. Incidence of mental health hospitalizations, treated self-harm, and emergency room visits following new anxiety disorder diagnoses in privately insured U.S. children. Depression and anxiety. 2018 Oct 24. PMID: 30358025 [PubMed].
- Knight TG, Deal AM, Dusetzina SB, Muss HB, Choi SK, Bensen JT, Williams GR. Financial Toxicity in Adults With Cancer: Adverse Outcomes and Noncompliance. Journal of oncology practice. 2018 Oct 24. JOP1800120. PMID: 30355027 [PubMed].
- Belenky N, Pence BW, Cole SR, Dusetzina SB, Edmonds A, Oberlander J, Plankey M, Adedimeji A, Wilson TE, Cohen J, Cohen MH, Milam JE, Adimora AA. Impact of Medicare Part D on mental health treatment and outcomes for dual eligible beneficiaries with HIV. AIDS care. 2018 Sep 6. 1-8. PMID: 30189747 [PubMed].
- Wright B, Dusetzina SB, Upchurch G. Medicare's Variation in Out-of-Pocket Costs for Prescriptions: The Irrational Examples of In-Hospital Observation and Home Infusion. Journal of the American Geriatrics Society. 2018 Sep. PMID: 30264858 [PubMed].
- Olszewski AJ, Dusetzina SB, Trivedi AN, Davidoff AJ. Prescription Drug Coverage and Outcomes of Myeloma Therapy Among Medicare Beneficiaries. Journal of clinical oncology : official journal of the American Society of Clinical Oncology. 2018 Aug 16. JCO2018778894. PMID: 30113885 [PubMed].
- Pinheiro LC, Check DK, Rosenstein D, Reeder-Hayes KE, Dusetzina S. Examining potential gaps in supportive medication use for US and foreign-born Hispanic women with breast cancer. Supportive care in cancer : official journal of the Multinational Association of Supportive Care in Cancer. 2018 Aug 10. PMID: 30097792 [PubMed].
- Bushnell GA, Brookhart MA, Gaynes BN, Compton SN, Dusetzina SB, Stürmer T. Examining Parental Medication Adherence as a Predictor of Child Medication Adherence in Pediatric Anxiety Disorders. Medical care. 2018 Jun;56(6). 510-519. PMID: 29668649 [PubMed]. PMCID: PMC5945329. NIHMSID: NIHMS950492.
- Roberts AW, Saloner B, Dusetzina SB. Buprenorphine Use and Spending for Opioid Use Disorder Treatment: Trends From 2003 to 2015. Psychiatric services (Washington, D.C.). 2018 May 8. appips201700315. PMID: 29734918 [PubMed].
- Cole AL, Dusetzina SB. Generic Price Competition For Specialty Drugs: Too Little, Too Late? Health affairs (Project Hope). 2018 May;37(5). 738-742. PMID: 29733710 [PubMed].
- Mitchell AP, Winn AN, Dusetzina SB. Pharmaceutical Industry Payments and Oncologists' Selection of Targeted Cancer Therapies in Medicare Beneficiaries. JAMA internal medicine. 2018 Apr 9. PMID: 29630687 [PubMed].