LGBT Health, Health Disparities, Population Health, Health Care Reform
Gilbert Gonzales is an Assistant Professor in the Department of Health Policy at the Vanderbilt University School of Medicine. Prior to joining the department, he was a research assistant at the State Health Access Data Assistance Center (SHADAC) where he used federal surveys to report state-level measures of population health and health care.
Dr. Gonzales’ research examines how state-level social policies and health reforms affect health and access to medical care in vulnerable families and children. His dissertation, for instance, examined the impact of same-sex marriage laws on health insurance coverage among lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) couples and their children. His research has appeared in the American Journal of Public Health, Pediatrics, JAMA and the New England Journal of Medicine.
Dr. Gonzales completed his Ph.D. in Health Policy at the University of Minnesota School of Public Health, a Master of Health Administration from the University of North Texas Health Science Center and a Bachelor of Arts in Political Science and Biology from Baylor University.
- Ehrenfeld JM, Zimmerman DR, Gonzales G. Healthcare Utilization among Transgender Individuals in California. Journal of medical systems. 2018 Mar 16;42(5). 77 p. PMID: 29546483 [PubMed].
- Beach LB, Elasy TA, Gonzales G. Prevalence of Self-Reported Diabetes by Sexual Orientation: Results from the 2014 Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System. LGBT health. 2018 Jan 29. PMID: 29377760 [PubMed].
- Henning-Smith C, Gonzales G. Differences by Sexual Orientation in Perceptions of Neighborhood Cohesion: Implications for Health. Journal of community health. 2017 Dec 8. PMID: 29222737 [PubMed].
- Gonzales G, Henning-Smith C. Barriers to Care Among Transgender and Gender Nonconforming Adults. The Milbank quarterly. 2017 Dec;95(4). 726-748. PMID: 29226450 [PubMed]. PMCID: PMC5723709.
- Sherrill E, Gonzales G. Recent Changes in Health Insurance Coverage and Access to Care by Mental Health Status, 2012-2015. JAMA psychiatry. 2017 Oct 1;74(10). 1076-1079. PMID: 28877301 [PubMed].
- Gonzales G, Henning-Smith C. Health Disparities by Sexual Orientation: Results and Implications from the Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System. Journal of community health. 2017 May 2. PMID: 28466199 [PubMed].
- Boudreaux MH, Gonzales G, Saloner B. Medical Financial Burden Declined For Consumers In The Nongroup Market. Health affairs (Project Hope). 2017 May 1;36(5). 833-837. PMID: 28461349 [PubMed].
- Gonzales G, Henning-Smith C, Przedworski J. Advancing the Health of Lesbian, Gay, and Bisexual Adults-Reply. JAMA internal medicine. 2017 Feb 1;177(2). 288-289. PMID: 28166356 [PubMed].
- Gonzales G, Henning-Smith C. The Affordable Care Act and Health Insurance Coverage for Lesbian, Gay, and Bisexual Adults: Analysis of the Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System. LGBT health. 2017 Feb;4(1). 62-67. PMID: 27996379 [PubMed].
- Gonzales G, Golberstein E, Hill SC, Zuvekas SH. Psychological Distress and Enrollment in Medicaid. The journal of behavioral health services & research. 2016 Sep 13. PMID: 27623950 [PubMed].
- Gonzales G, Przedworski J, Henning-Smith C. Comparison of Health and Health Risk Factors Between Lesbian, Gay, and Bisexual Adults and Heterosexual Adults in the United States: Results From the National Health Interview Survey. JAMA internal medicine. 2016 Jun 27. PMID: 27367843 [PubMed].
- Gonzales G. Marriage Equality Act and Changes to Health Insurance Coverage--Reply. JAMA. 2016 Jan 26;315(4). 417-8. PMID: 26813220 [PubMed].
- Golberstein E, Gonzales G. The Effects of Medicaid Eligibility on Mental Health Services and Out-of-Pocket Spending for Mental Health Services. Health services research. 2015 Oct 7. PMID: 26445915 [PubMed].
- Golberstein E, Gonzales G, Sommers BD. California's Early ACA Expansion Increased Coverage And Reduced Out-Of-Pocket Spending For The State's Low-Income Population. Health affairs (Project Hope). 2015 Oct 1;34(10). 1688-94. PMID: 26438745 [PubMed].