International Collaborations

Will you be conducting research internationally or working as a part of an International Collaboration?

Before engaging in an international collaboration, VUMC needs to determine if export controls are applicable and to verify that the foreign individual and/or organization are not blocked or sanctioned entities.

  • Typically, collaborations between VUMC personnel and researchers/scholars at foreign institutions or organizations do not require export licenses unless they involve export-controlled or restricted research or take place in/with sanctioned countries.

The survey below is used to assist with an export compliance analysis. Please complete the survey as early in the process/collaboration as possible.

** NOTE: If your collaboration, research, or international activity will be formalized and managed by OSP/OCM, you do not need to complete this form.**

For record retention, keep all documentation related to the collaboration for five (5) years past the last date of recorded activity.

Export Restricted, Blocked, Embargoed and Sanctioned Countries

Depending on each country's embargoed or sanctioned program, different activities may or may not be prohibited without a specific government authorization or license. Please see our Countries of Concern page for further details about export restricted, blocked, embargoed or sanctioned nations.