Introduction to Vanderbilt Unversity Medical Center
Vanderbilt University Medical Center is a comprehensive health care facility dedicated to patient care, research, and biomedical education. Our reputation for excellence in these areas has made us a major center for patient referrals from throughout the Mid-South.
Each year, people throughout Tennessee and the Southeast choose Vanderbilt University Medical Center for their health care because of our leadership in medical science and our dedication to treating patients with dignity and compassion.
To learn more about the history and prestige of Vanderbilt University Medical Center, click here.
About the Program
The VUMC Diagnostic Medical Sonography (DMS) Program the program was established under its current home in the VUMC Department of Radiology in 2002. The program achieved initial programmatic accreditation in 2004. Upon recognition by a programmatic accreditor, the DMS Program became one of the Vanderbilt University Allied Health Programs recognized by the University’s accreditor. In 2017, the DMS Program under the auspices of VU was closed and opened solely under VUMC.
The VUMC Diagnostic Medical Sonography Program offers:
- Small class size
- 18-month certificate curriculum accredited in General Sonography
- Six (6) unique rotations of integrated didactic and clinical courses (requires an average attendance of 33 hours per week)
- Didactic and clinical requirements to prepare graduates for certification with the American Registry of Diagnostic Medical Sonography (ARDMS)
- Introductory coursework and clinical assignments for vascular sonography
- Exposure to other sonographic specialties (pediatric sonography, pedatric echocardiography, breast imaging, musculoskeletal)
- Research opportunities
- Interaction with Medical Staff in the clinical and classroom settings
Students are provided the documentation necessary to apply for the following certification exams with the ARDMS:
- Sonographic Principles and Instrumentation
Please note that changes to curriculum, policies, fees. or schedules are subject to change in response to changing conditions.