Call the toll-free Poison Help hotline FIRST for any type of poison emergency or if you have a question to help prevent a poisoning. The toll-free number is 1-800-222-1222. We advise you to save the number in your cell phone or post it on your refrigerator so it will be readily available.
Our service is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week, 365 days per year. Qualified medical professionals, who are registered nurses, pharmacists, and physicians, will answer your call. Also, our hotline service is available for people with hearing impairment and non-English speakers.
Please have the following information ready when you call the Poison Help hotline:
- Your contact number
- The age and approximate weight of the poisoned person
- The substance(s) involved
- The approximate amount of the substance consumed
- The time the exposure occurred
- How the exposure occurred
- Any symptoms the poison victim is experiencing
- Any treatment begun before calling the Poison Help hotline
Poisonings can happen to anyone, at any time. Save 1-800-222-1222 in your cell phone so you will have it in case of a poison emergency or to call for information to prevent a poisoning.