- PGY-1: 13 4-week blocks (6 general surgery, 7 orthopaedics)
- General Surgery: Burn ICU, Pediatric Surgery, VA SICU, Emergency General Surgery (EGS), Oncology/Endocrine Surgery, Vascular Surgery
- Orthopaedics: Ortho Trauma, Pediatric Ortho, Foot & Ankle (2 consecutive blocks), Day Call, Day Call/Pediatric Ortho, Skills month
- PGY-2-5: 5 10-week blocks as above
- Rotations are designed to pair a senior resident and a junior resident (PGY-2 & PGY-4, PGY-3 & PGY-5)
- except: Trauma (PGY-2 & PGY-5), Foot/Ankle (PGY-3 & PGY-1), Research (PGY-3), All Purpose (PGY-4) and Float (PGY-5)
- Outpatient Surgery Services (Hand, Sports, Foot&Ankle) operate both at the main campus and The Vanderbilt Bone and Joint Surgery Center (15 minute drive).
- An apprentice model is followed on each service with residents being paired with attendings to provide continuity of care and education.
- Each rotation is done as a junior resident and repeated as a senior resident to provide an optimal educational experience.
- Residents take call at the main campus (VUMC, Vanderbilt Children's Hospital, and Nashville VA).
- PGY-2/3 take in-house consult call and PGY-4/5 take home senior call for questions and will assist in overnight operative cases.