Phase 1: Hospital-based program
Phase 1 is designed to keep teen drivers safe. Its' purpose is to teach teens motor vehicle safety in a hospital setting. The program is a team effort of the Trauma Program, Rehabilitation staff and the Emergency Department staff.
High school student club leaders (HOSA, DECA, FBLA, Criminal Justice) from Tennessee counties are chosen to participate in Phase 1. During a day-long intensive program, students experience:
- A trauma presentation on risky driving behavior
- "Injury" assignments from the rehabilitation team to manage throughout the day as if they had been in a motor vehicle crash
- A mock trauma simulation in the Emergency Department
- Hear from a Champions of Change speaker who has been personally affected by the consequences of distracted driving
An interactive environment is used to:
- Increase awareness among teens of motor vehicle safety and the consequences of unsafe driving habits
- Teach teens about the dangers of distracted driving, especially cell phone use and texting while driving.
Participating teens have given the program outstanding evaluations.
For more information or to join the Be in the Zone-Turn of Your Phone program, email Amber Sexton.