Crisis Situations

Immediate Crisis

  • If you are having an immediate psychological crisis, please call Work/Life Connections-EAP at 615-936-1327. Please identify that you are in crisis and one of the counselors will talk with you on the phone or we may recommend an immediate appointment in our office.
  • After hours, call 615-936-1327 and let the answering service know that you need to speak to the counselor on call. Leave a number where you can be reached. The counselor will call you back and help determine the best course of action.
  • National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: The National Suicide Prevention Lifeline is a national network of local crisis centers that provides free and confidential emotional support to people in suicidal crisis or emotional distress 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. 1-800-273-TALK (8255)

Financial Hardship

  • The Faculty and Staff Hardship Fund may be of assistance for a temporary hardship due to a significant life event.
  • The Nashville Financial Empowerment Centers provide free, professional financial counseling to Davidson County residents citywide. The Centers help individuals review their personal budgets to reduce debt and build assets through free, one-on-one financial counseling incorporated into existing services offered in the city. To schedule a free appointment for financial counseling, Nashvillians can directly call the United Way 2-1-1 Helpline to make an appointment, which is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Learn​ more about the program.

Emergency Food/Housing

  • If you have the need for immediate shelter or food, you can call the United Way Community Services Helpline by dialing - 211.
  • Room in the Inn is a housing resource in Nashville that will assist in addressing short-term needs, such as shelter and utility assistance, as well as long-term solutions, such as assistance in employment searches and obtaining affordable housing.
  • Where to Turn in Nashville is an online guide that lists more than 300 resources for those experiencing homelessness or poverty in Middle Tennessee.

Domestic Violence

  • The Nashville's Family Safety Center serves individuals who have experienced domestic violence, sexual assault, human trafficking or child abuse with safety planning, resource referrals, orders of protection, and domestic violence education. 615-880-1100.
  • To speak with someone on a 24 hour hotline, you can contact the YWCA Domestic Violence Hotline at 1-800-334-4628.
  • Here are some additional resources in Nashville.

Other Crisis

  • If there is an emergency on the main Vanderbilt campus, call campus police at 911 from a campus phone.
  • If you are having a medical emergency, dial 911.
  • If you need immediate medical assistance, we may direct you to the nearest emergency room. If you are on the main Vanderbilt campus, the closest emergency room is the Vanderbilt Medical Center Emergency Department located on Medical Center Drive.
  • Work/Life Connections-EAP is located at 1211 21st Avenue South in the basement of the Medical Arts Building in Suite 010.