Here are the steps you should take when exposed to human blood/body fluids
- First aid – Allow puncture sites to bleed. Clean wounds with soap and water. Do not use caustic substances such as bleach to clean the wound. Flush eyes, nose, or mouth with water for 15 minutes.
- Identify the source of the exposure – Get the name and medical record number of the person who is the source of your exposure. Occupational Health will also need the brand and gauge size of the instrument involved in the injury.
- Obtain medical care – Medication to prevent HIV infection is best if started as soon as possible following exposure and is less effective after 72 hours. Obtaining source patient labs in a timely manner will facilitate appropriate treatment when indicated.
- If you are on the Nashville VUMC Campus, go to the Occupational Health Clinic on the 6th floor of the Medical Arts Building, 7:00 am - 4:30 pm Monday-Friday. (Note, Express Care on the first floor is not equipped to handle these injuries.)
- If you are at an off-campus VUMC facility (ex. One Hundred Oaks), call OHC at 615-936-0955 for instructions.
- If you are at one of our regional hospitals, call OHC at 615-936-0955 for instructions.
- If you sustain a BBF (whether on Nashville campus, a regional hospital, or an off-site VUMC facility) after hours on a weekday (4:30 pm-7:00am), on weekends, or during holidays, contact the OHC on-call provider at 615-936-0955 for instruction.
Report the exposure/injury to your supervisor and the Vanderbilt Office of Risk and Insurance Management by completing the Tennessee First Report of Injury form.
For detailed instructions, please call the Exposure Advisor at 615-875-STIK (7845). An on-call provider can also be reached 24 hours a day/7 days a week at 615-936-0955.
After you receive care
If you are seen in the Emergency Department, contact Occupational Health on the next business day to ensure proper documentation and follow-up.
How to order labs for the source patient
- For inpatient source patients: please search the word "exposure," "source," or "Blood" in the order/order set field. You should see and select the "Source Blood/Body Fluid Exposure Panel." The ordering provider will be the patient's attending provider.
- For outpatient source patients: please search the word "exposure," "source," or "Blood" in the SmartSet field. You should see and select the "Source Blood/Body Fluid Exposure." The ordering provider will be the patient's attending provider.
Please call the Occupational Health Clinic (615-936-0955) with any questions on ordering source patient labs.