We don't often think of baked goods as fitting into a healthy lifestyle. They can contain high amounts of calories from added sugar and saturated fats. However, there are some simple ways to make your favorite recipes healthier and more nutritious. Use the following ideas and examples to bake better baked goods.
Next time you bake, swap out one of the ingredients for a healthier alternative from above.
- Healthy Baking Alternatives. Accessed December 8, 2020. https://www.eatright.org/food/planning-and-prep/cooking-tips-and-trends/healthybaking-alternatives
- Discover the Health Benefits of Produce. Accessed December 8, 2020. https://www.eatright.org/food/nutrition/dietary-guidelines-and-myplate/discover-thehealth-benefits-of-produce
- Nutrition for Growing Bodies. Accessed December 8, 2020. https://www.eatright.org/health/wellness/healthy-aging/nutrition-for-growing-bodies
- 8 Proven Health Benefits of Dates. Healthline. Published March 21, 2018. Accessed December 9, 2020. https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/benefits-of-dates
- What Is Wheat Germ & Where Do You Buy It? Healthy Eating | SF Gate. Accessed December 9, 2020. https://healthyeating.sfgate.com/wheat-germ-buy-it-5856.html