As VUMC nursing professionals, integrating current evidence into our current practice is not something extra, it is what we do! This page is full of resources to help VUMC nurses formulate EBP questions, search and summarize the literature and plan and carry out EBP activities on your unit or in your facility. Resources are organized using the Johns Hopkins Nursing Evidence-Based Practice Model.
The EBP process divided into 3 phases and 18 steps.
Phase I - Asking Practice Questions
Step 1: Recruit inter-professional team
Step 2: Develop and refine the EBP question
Step 3: Define the scope of the EBP question and identify stakeholders
Step 4: Determine responsibility for project leadership
Step 5: Schedule team meetings
Phase II - Reviewing the Evidence
Step 6: Conduct internal and external search for evidence
Step 7: Appraise the level and quality of each piece of evidence
Step 8: Summarize the individual evidence
Step 9: Synthesize over all strength and quality of evidence
Step 10: Develop recommendations for change based on evidence synthesis
• Strong, compelling evidence, consistent results
• Good evidence, consistent results
• Good evidence, conflicting results
• Insufficient or absent evidence
Phase III - Translation
Step 11: Determine fit, feasibility, and appropriateness of recommendation(s) for translation path
Step 12: Create action plan
Step 13: Secure support and resources to implement action plan
Step 14: Implement action plan
Step 15: Evaluate outcomes
Step 16: Report outcomes to stakeholders
Step 17: Identify next steps
Step 18: Disseminate findings
Nursing Research office is your biggest resource and we are here to help you successfully navigate your EBP project journey!
Here are some additional resources you will need:
- This pdf will help to guide your search to answer your clinical questions
- To complete your Human Subject Protection (IRB) training
- Here is the template for you to construct the process of your EBP project.
- We suggest to use REDCap for storing data or creating a survey. Go here for set up a profile and much more!