Matthew S. Shotwell, PhD
FOCUS: Statistical computing and inference
Dr. Matthew Shotwell is Associate Professor in the Department of Biostatistics at Vanderbilt University School of Medicine. He is active in the American Statistical Association, currently serving as the Program Chair Elect for the Section on Statistical Graphics, as well as a Chapter Representative for the Middle Tennessee Chapter. Dr. Shotwell is also a member of the Institute of Mathematical Statistics.
Education & Training
BS – East Tennessee State University
MS – East Tennessee State University
PhD – Medical University of South Carolina
Recent Peer-reviewed Journal Articles
- Yeun H, Shotwell MS, and Slate E (2009) Factors Associated with Oral Problems among Adults with Spinal Cord Injury. The Journal of Spinal Cord Medicine 32(4):408–415.
- Cowart LA, Shotwell MS, Worley M, Richards AJ, Montefusco D, Hannun Y, and Lu X (2010) Revealing a Signaling Role of PHS1P in Yeast Using Integrative Systems Approaches. Molecular Systems Biology 6(349).
- Richards AJ, Muller B, Shotwell MS, Cowart LA, Rohrer B, and Lu X (2010) Assessing the Functional Coherence of Gene Sets with Metrics Based on the Gene Ontology Graph. Bioinformatics 26(12):79–87.
- Shotwell MS and Slate EH (2010) Bayesian Modeling of Footrace Finishing Times. Journal of Quantitative Analysis in Sports 6(3).
- Shotwell MS and Slate EH (2011) Bayesian Outlier Detection with Dirichlet Process Mixtures. Bayesian Analysis 6(2):1–22.
- Gebregziabher M, Shotwell MS, Charles J, and Nicholas J (2012) Comparison of Methods For Identifying Phenotype Subgroups Using Categorical Features Data With Application To Autism Spectrum Disorder. Computational Statistics & Data Analysis 56(1):114–125.
- Simmons S, Sims N, Durkin DW, Shotwell MS, Erwin S, and Schnelle J (2012) The Quality of Feeding Assistance Care Practices for Long-Term Care Veterans: Implications for Quality Improvement Efforts. Journal of Applied Gerontology, Published Online DOI: 10.1177/0733464811433487.
- Silver HJ, Wall R, Hollingsworth E, Pruitt A, Shotwell MS, and Simmons S (2012) Simple Kcal/kg Formula is Comparable to Prediction Equations for Estimating Resting Energy Expenditure in Older Cognitively Impaired Long Term Care Residents. Journal of Nutrition Health and Aging, Published Online DOI: 10.1007/s12603-012-0387-3.
- Bernard ML, Shotwell MS, Nietert PJ, and Gold MR (2012) Meta-analysis of Bleeding Complications Associated with Cardiac Rhythm Device Implantation. Circulation: Arrhythmia and Electrophysiology 5(3):468–474.
- Shah V, Shi J, Hout D, Oztop I, Krishnan L, Ahn J, Shotwell MS, Engelman A, and Aiken C (2013) The Host Proteins Transportin SR2/TNPO3 and Cyclophilin A Exert Opposing Effects on HIV-1 Uncoating. Journal of Virology 87(1): 422–432.
- Shotwell MS (2013) profdpm: An R Package for MAP Estimation in a Class of Conjugate Product Partition Models. Journal of Statistical Software, published online May 29, 2013. URL:http://www.jstatsoft.org/v53/i08.
- Simmons SF, Durkin DW, Shotwell MS, Erwin S, Schnelle JF (2013) A Staff Training and Management Intervention in VA Long-Term Care: Impact on Feeding Assistance Care Quality. Translational Behavioral Medicine: Practice, Policy and Research, Published Online DOI: 10.1007/s13142-013-0194-3.
- Shotwell MS, Drake, KJ, Sidorov, VY, and Wikswo, JP (2013) Mechanistic Analysis of Response to Challenge Experiments. Biometrics, accepted for publication.
- Simmons SF, Durkin DW, Shotwell MS, Erwin S, Schnelle JF. A staff training and management intervention in VA long-term care: impact on feeding assistance care quality. Transl Behav Med. 2013 Jun;3(2):189-99. doi: 10.1007/s13142-013-0194-3. PMID: 24073169.
- Simmons SF, Sims N, Durkin DW, Shotwell MS, Erwin S, Schnelle JF. The quality of feeding assistance care practices for long-term care veterans: implications for quality improvement efforts. J Appl Gerontol. 2013 Sep;32(6):669-86. doi: 10.1177/0733464811433487. Epub 2012 Mar 22. PMID: 25474793.
- Bulka CM, Shotwell MS, Gupta RK, Sandberg WS, Ehrenfeld JM. Regional anesthesia, time to hospital discharge, and in-hospital mortality: a propensity score matched analysis. Reg Anesth Pain Med. 2014 Sep-Oct;39(5):381-6. doi: 10.1097/AAP.0000000000000121. PMID: 25025697.
- Schlesinger JJ, Stevenson RA, Shotwell MS, Wallace MT. Improving pulse oximetry pitch perception with multisensory perceptual training. Anesth Analg. 2014 Jun;118(6):1249-53. doi: 10.1213/ANE.0000000000000222. PMID: 24846194.
- Durkin DW, Shotwell MS, Simmons SF. The impact of family visitation on feeding assistance quality in nursing homes. J Appl Gerontol. 2014 Aug;33(5):586-602. doi: 10.1177/0733464814522126. Epub 2014 Feb 18. PMID: 24652932.
- Franklin AD, Lorinc AN, Shotwell MS, Greene EB, Wushensky CA. Evaluation of the skin to epidural and subarachnoid space distance in young children using magnetic resonance imaging. Reg Anesth Pain Med. 2015 May Jun;40(3):245-8. doi: 10.1097/AAP.0000000000000234. PMID: 25899953.
- Pathmanathan P, Shotwell MS, Gavaghan DJ, Cordeiro JM, Gray RA. Uncertainty quantification of fast sodium current steady-state inactivation for multi-scale models of cardiac electrophysiology. Prog Biophys Mol Biol. 2015 Jan;117(1):4-18. doi: 10.1016/j.pbiomolbio.2015.01.008. Epub 2015 Feb 7. Review. PMID: 25661325.
- Kumar AB, Shi Y, Shotwell MS, Richards J, Ehrenfeld JM. Hypernatremia is a Significant Risk Factor for Acute Kidney Injury After Subarachnoid Hemorrhage: A Retrospective Analysis. Neurocrit Care. 2015 Apr;22(2):184-91. doi: 10.1007/s12028-014-0067-8. PMID: 25231531.
Proceedings and Abstracts
- Shotwell MS, Slate EH, and Nietert PJ (2008) Improved Mixing with Simulated Annealing in Bimodal Footrace Finishing Times. The Proceedings of the Joint Statistical Meetings.
- Shotwell MS (2010) R Connection Internals. http://biostatmatt.com/R/R-conn-ints.pdf
- Franklin D, Lorinc AN, Greene E, Shotwell MS, Wushensky C (2013) Evaluation of the Skin to Epidural Space Distance in Young Children Using Magnetic Resonance Imaging. SPA/AAP Pediatric Anesthesiology 2013 Meeting, March 14–17, Las Vegas, NV.
Presentations and Posters
- Shotwell MS, Slate EH, and Lu X. (2008) Semiparametric Clustering of Microarray Gene Expression Data. SRCOS, Charleston, SC.
- Shotwell MS and Slate EH (2008) The Cooper River Bridge Run: A Bayesian Hierarchical Mixture. MCMSki II, Bormio, Italy.
- Shotwell MS (2009) An Introduction to 8-bit Microcontroller Development in Linux. Meeting of the Charleston, SC Linux Users Group.
- Shotwell MS (2009) Simplified Clustering with Dirichelt Process and Other Process Mixtures. The 7th Annual Rocky Mountain Bioinformatics Conference, Aspen, CO.
- Shotwell MS (2010) Advances in Partition Modeling for Biomedical Research. Vanderbilt University, Nashville, TN.
- Shotwell MS (2011) Tools and Strategies for Reproducible Research Practices. The 42nd Symposium on the Interface of Computing Science and Statistics, SAS Institute, Cary, NC.
- Alvarez J and Shotwell MS (2011) Reproducible Research in Daily Practice. JSM, Miami Beach, FL.
- Shotwell MS (2011) Outlier Detection using Dirichlet Process Mixtures. JSM, Miami Beach, FL.
- Shotwell MS (2011) Experimenting with a TTY connection for R. useR! 2011, Coventry, UK.
- Shotwell MS (2011) Reading SAS7BDAT Databases in R, without SAS! useR! 2011, Coventry, UK.
- Shotwell MS (2012) Exploring Statistical Strategies for Challenge-Response Experiments. Department of Biostatistics Seminar Series. Vanderbilt University, Nashville, TN.
- Shotwell MS (2012) Applied Nonparametric Bootstrap with Hierarchical and Correlated Data. Department of Biostatistics M.S. Continuing Education Series. Vanderbilt University, Nashville, TN.
- Shotwell MS (2012) Exploring Statistical Strategies for Use in Challenge-Response Experiments. The 43rd Symposium on the Interface of Computing Science and Statistics, Rice University, Houston, TX.
- Shotwell MS (2012) Optimal Design of Challenge-Response Experiments for Mechanistic Model Discrimination. JSM, San Diego, CA.
- Shotwell MS (2012) Mechanistic Analysis of Response To Challenge Experiments. East Tennessee State University, Institute of Quantitative Biology, Johnson City, TN.
- Shotwell MS (2013) Bootstrap Simultaneous Confidence Bands: A Highest Sampling Density Approach. Mid-TN ASA Chapter Spring Meeting, Nashville, TN.
- Shotwell MS (2013) Barriers to Reproducible Research and a Web-Based Solution. Vanderbilt University, Department of Biostatistics, M.S. Spring Retreat. Nashville Zoo, Nashville, TN.
- Shotwell MS (2013) Barriers to Reproducible Research and a Web-Based Solution. Midwest Biopharmaceutical Statistics Workshop, Ball State Univerisity, Muncie, IN.
- Shotwell MS (2011) A TTY Connection for R. This software is a patch against R version 2.11.1 http://biostatmatt.com/archives/564.
- Shotwell MS (2012) sas7bdat: A SAS Database Reader for R. http://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/sas7bdat/index.html.
- Shotwell MS (2012) profdpm: An Extensible R Package for Data Analysis with Product Partition Models. http://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/profdpm/index.html.