Scientific Disciplines We Cover
Clinical Domains of Interest to Us
Topics of Interest to Our Team
Representative Research Techniques We Employ
Current CRISS Research Funding
For information on our current projects, refer to our Research page.
Representative Publications (Projects) Involving Our Trainees
- Xu, J. [Post-doc], Slagle, J. M., Banerjee, A., Bracken, B., and Weinger, M. B.: Use of a portable functional near-infrared spectroscopy (fNIRS) system to examine team experience during crisis event management in clinical simulations. Frontiers in Human Neuroscience 13:85, Mar 2019. PMID: 30890926
- Militello LG, Anders S, Downs SM, Dilulio J, Danielson EC [Student], Hurley RW & Harle CA. Understanding How Primary Care Clinicians Make Sense of Chronic Pain. Cognition, Technology & Work. 2018 Nov, 20:4, 575-584. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10111-018-0491-1.
- Robinson JR [Student], Anders S, Novak LL, Simpson CL, Holroyd LE, Bennett KA, & Jackson GP. Consumer health-related needs of pregnant women and their caregivers. JAMIA Open. 2018 July; 1(1): 57-66. https://doi.org/10.1093/jamiaopen/ ooy018.
- Anders S, Aaron H [Student], Jackson GP, & Novak LL. Supporting caregivers in pregnancy: A qualitative study of their activities and roles. Journal of Patient Experience. 2018 July. doi:10.1177/2374373518785570.
- Shroder M [Med Student], Anders S, Dorst M, & Jackson GP. Technology use and preferences for pregnant women and their caregivers. Proceedings of the AMIA 2018 Annual Symposium. Nov 4-8, 2018. (Best student paper award)
- Anders S, Militello, LG, Downs SM, Cook RL, Hurley RW, Danielson EC [Student], & Harle CA. Information technology gaps in primary care management of chronic pain. Proceedings of the International Symposium on Human Factors and Ergonomics in Healthcare. Boston, MA, Mar 26-28, 2018.
- Anders S, Arron H [Student], Jackson GP, & Novak LL. Designing technologies for caregivers in pregnancy. Proceedings of the International Symposium on Human Factors and Ergonomics in Healthcare. Boston, MA, Mar 26-28, 2018.
- Reale C, Ariosto D, Weinger MB, & Anders S. Simulation-based usability testing methods support nurses’ safe transition between bar-code medication administration systems. Proceedings of the International Symposium on Human Factors and Ergonomics in Healthcare. Boston, MA, Mar 26-28, 2018.
- Xu J [Post-doc], Anders S, Pruttianan A, France DJ, Lau N, Adams JA, Weinger MB. Human Performance Measures for the Evaluation of Process Control Human-System Interfaces in High-Fidelity Simulations. Applied Cognition, June 27, 2018. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apergo.2018.06.008.
- Xu, J. [Post-doc], Anders, S., Pruttianan, A., France, D., Lau, N., Adams, J. A., and Weinger, M. B.: Human performance measures for the evaluation of process control human-system interfaces in high-fidelity simulations. Applied Ergonomics 73:151-65. Nov 2018. PMID: 30098630
- Xu, J. [Post-doc], Reale, C., Slagle, J. M., Anders, S., Shotwell, M. S., Dresselhaus, T., Weinger, M. B.: Facilitated nurse medication-related event reporting to improve medication management quality and safety in intensive care units. Nursing Research 66(5): 337-49, Sep/Oct 2017. PMID: 28858143
- Jackson GP, Robinson JR, Ingram E [Med student], Masterman M [Med student], Ivory C, Holloway D, Anders S, Cronin RM. A technology-based patient and family engagement consult service for the pediatric hospital setting. J Am Med Inform Assoc. 2017 Jul 22. doi: 10.1093/jamia/ocx067.
- Dexheimer JW, Kurowski B [Student], Anders S, McClanahan N, Wade SL & Babcock L. Usability Evaluation of the SMART application for youth with mTBI. Int J Med Inform, 97, 163-170. 2017.
- Xu J [Post doc], Anders S, Pruttianan A [Student], France DJ, Weinger MB. Human Performance Measures for the Evaluation of Nuclear Power Plant Control Room Interfaces: A Systematic Review. 10th International Topical Meeting on Nuclear Plant Instrumentation, Control and Human-Machine Interface Technology, San Francisco, Jun 11-15, 2017.
- France DJ, Hashim NW [Student], Salomon R, Meggs J, Wilkes DM. Acoustic measures of speech as predictors of depression severity. Journal of Voice. 2017 Mar;31(2):256.e1-256.e6. doi: 10.1016/j.jvoice.2016.06.006. Epub 2016 Jul 26.
- Hanks, C. A. [MBA student], Weinger, M. B.: Know yourself, know the system: Developing a successful career and being promoted as an academic anesthesiologist. International Anesthesiology Clinics 54(3):155-69, 2016. PMID: 27285078.
- Whitney GM, Woods MC, France DJ, Austin TM, Deegan RJ, Paroskie A, Baker C [Student], Booth GS, Young PP, Dmochowski RR, Sandberg WV, Pilla MA. Reducing intraoperative red blood cell unit wastage in a large academic medical center. Transfusion. 2015 May; 2015 Nov; 11(55):2752-8. PMID: 26202213.
- Xie, M. [Masters student], Weinger, M. B., Gregg, W. M., Johnson, K. B.: Presenting multiple drug alerts in an ambulatory electronic prescribing system: A usability study of novel prototypes. Applied Clinical Informatics 5(20): 334-48, 2014.
- Zuckerman S [Student], Poon S [Student], Anders S, Bennett M, France DJ. Methodology and bias in assessing compliance with a surgical safety checklist. Joint Commission Journal on Quality and Patient Safety. 2013 February. Vol 39; No. 2. PMID: 23427479.
- Mainthia R [Student], Lockney T [Student], Zotov A [Student], France DJ, Bennett M, St. Jacques P, Furman W, Randa S, Feistritzer N, Eavey R, Leming-Lee S, Anders S. Novel use of electronic whiteboard in the operating room increases surgical team compliance with pre-incision safety practices. Surgery. 2012 May;151(5):660-6. Epub 2012 Jan 11.
- Zuckerman SL [Student], France DJ, Green C, Leming-Lee S, Anders S, Mocco, J. Surgical debriefing: A reliable roadmap to completing the patient safety cycle. Neurosurgery Focus. 2012 Nov; Vol. 5(33):E4. PMID: 23116099.
- Levin S [Student], Dittus R, Aronsky D, Weinger M, France DJ. Evaluating the effects of increasing surgical volume on emergency department patient access. BMJ Quality and Safety. 20:146-152, 2011.
- Anders S, Miller A, Zotov A [Student], Weinger MB, Booker R, France DJ. Blood product positive patient identification: Comparative simulation-based usability test of two commercial products. Transfusion. 2011 Nov. 11(51):2311-8.
- Han JH, France DJ, Levin SR [Student], Jones I, Storrow A, Aronsky D. The effect of physician triage on emergency department length of stay. Journal of Emergency Medicine. 2010 August; 39(2)227-33.
- France DJ, Throop P, Joers B, Allen L, Parekh AD, Rickard D [Student], Deshpande JK. Health Environments. Research and Design Journal. 2009 Fall;3(1):79-96.
- Dale C [Student], Dezube R [Student], Levin S [Student], Weinger MB, France DJ, Registered nurse work patterns as a function of emergency department occupancy and boarding burden. Annals of Emergency Medicine. September 2008 Volume 50, Issue 3, Pages S46.
- France DJ, Leming-Lee S, Jackson T [Student], Feistritzer N, Higgins MS. An observational analysis of surgical team compliance with perioperative safety practices after crew resource management training. American Journal of Surgery. 01-APR-2008; 195(4): 546-53.
- Levin SR [Student], Dittus RS, Aronsky D, Weinger WB, Han JH, Boord J, France DJ. Optimizing cardiology capacity to reduce emergency department boarding: A systems engineering approach. American Heart Journal. 2008 Dec;156(6):1202-9. Epub 2008 Aug 29.
- Bayley R [Medical student], Weinger MB, Meador S, Slovis C: Impact of ambulance crew configuration on simulation cardiac arrest resuscitation. Prehospital Emerg Care 12: 62-8, 2008.
- Levin S [Student], Hemphill R, Han J, Slagle J, Aronsky D, France DJ. Shifting toward balance: Measuring the distribution of workload among emergency physician teams. Annals of Emergency Medicine. 2007 Oct; 50(4):419-23. Epub 2007 June 7.
- Levin S [Student], Aronsky D, Han JH, Zhou C, France DJ. Modeling competition for inpatient cardiac care: Impact on emergency department boarding times. Annals of Emergency Medicine. September 2007 Volume 50, Issue 3, Pages S89.
- Levin S [Student], Han J, Aronsky D, Zhou C, Hoot N, Kelly L, France DJ. Stranded on emergency isle: Modeling competition for cardiac services using survival analysis. Proceedings of the Institute of Electronic and Electrical Engineers International Conference on Industrial Engineering and Engineering Management. pp.1772-1776, 2-4 Dec. 2007, Singapore.
- Dale C [Medical student] Dezube R [Medical student], Levin S [Graduate student], France D, Weinger M. Impact of Emergency Department occupancy and patient boarding on registered nurse work patterns and subjective ratings of workload and quality (abstract). Ann Emerg Med. 50(3): S46, 2007.
- Rayo M [Graduate student], Smith P, Weinger MB, Slagle JS: Assessing medication safety technology in the Intensive Care Unit. Proc Human Factors Ergon Society 51: 692-6, 2007.
- Oken A, Rasmussen MD [Anesthesiology fellow], Slagle J, Jain S, Kuykendall T, Ordonez N [Postdoctoral fellow], Weinger MB: A facilitated survey instrument captures significantly more anesthesia patient safety events than does traditional event reporting. Anesthesiology 107: 909-22, 2007.
- St. Jacques P, France DJ, Pilla M, Lai E [Student], Higgins MS. Evaluation of a hands-free wireless communication device in the perioperative environment. Telemedicine Journal and E-Health. Vol. 12, No 1: 42-49, Feb 2006.
- Levin SR [Student], France DJ, Hemphill R, Chen K, Rickard D [Student], Makowski R [Student], Aronsky D. Tracking workload in emergency physicians. Human Factors. 2006 Fall;48(3):526-39.
- Levin S [Student], France DJ, Mayberry RS, Stonemetz S, Jones I, Aronsky D. The effects of computerized nurse triage on nurse work behavior. American Medical Informatics Association Annual Symposium Proceedings. November 2006.
- Unertl KM [Masters student], Weinger MB, Johnson KB: Applying direct observation to model workflow and assess adoption. AMIA Annual Symp Proc 794-8, 2006.
- Harris B [Anesthesia resident], Weinger MB. An insidious failure of an oxygen analyzer (case report). Anesth Analg 102(5): 1468-72, 2006.
- Liang BA, Weinger MB, Suydam S [Medical student]. Learning from others: Legal aspects of sharing patient safety data using provider consortiums, J Patient Safety 1(2):83-9, 2005.
- France DJ, Levin SR [Student], Hemphill R, Chen K, Rickard D [Student], Makowski R [Student], Jones I, Aronsky D. Emergency physicians’ behaviors and workload in the presence of an electronic whiteboard. International Journal of Medical Informatics. October 2005, 74, 827-37.
- France DJ, Throop P, Walczyk B, Allen L, Parekh AD, Parsons A, Rickard D [Student], Deshpande JK. Does patient-centered design guarantee patient safety? Using human factors engineering to find a balance between provider and patient needs. Journal of Patient Safety. 1(3), September 2005, 145-153.