Jason Slagle, PhD
FOCUS: Task, workload and event analysis
Dr. Slagle has a PhD in Industrial-Organizational Psychology. He has conducted and published studies on performance differences related to anesthesiology resident experience and expertise, fatigue, and teaching during routine and non-routine situations. He plans to apply human factors techniques (e.g., job and task analysis and workload assessment) and observational methodologies in order to conduct further research here in the OR, ICU, simulated environments, and in other clinical settings in order to study the effects of a wide variety of factors (e.g., equipment and technology, experience and expertise, novel situations, provider characteristics, workload, team effectiveness and communication, motivational factors, production pressure, fatigue, etc.) on the performance of anesthesia care providers, nurses, and other clinicians as well as unexpected clinical events, medical errors, and medication events.
Education & Training
BS – Texas Tech University, Lubbock
MS – California School of Professional Psychology, San Diego
PhD – Alliant International University, San Diego
Recent Peer-reviewed Journal Articles
- Oken, A, Rasmussen, MD, Slagle, JM, Jain, S, Kuykendall, T, Ordonez, N, Weinger, MB. A facilitated survey instrument captures significantly more anesthesia events than does traditional voluntary event reporting. Anesthesiology 2007; 107(6):909-922. PMID: 18043059.
- Levin, S, Aronsky, D, Hemphill, R, Han, J, Slagle, J, France, DJ. Shifting Toward Balance: Measuring the distribution of workload among emergency physician teams. Annals of Emergency Medicine 2007; 50(4):419-423. PMID: 17559969.
- Cao, CG, Weinger, MB, Slagle, J, Zhou, C, Ou, J, Gillin, S, Sheh, B, Mazzei, W. Differences in day and night shift clinical performance in Anesthesiology. Human Factors 2008 Apr; 50:276-290. PMID: 18516838.
- Weinger MB, Slagle JM, Kuntz A, Mercaldo N, Peterman D, Speroff T. A simulation-based handoff training initiative significantly improves the quality of actual PACU handoffs. Anesthesia & Analgesia 2009; 108(2S):S113.
- Slagle JM, Anders S, Calderwood C, Weinger MB. Significant physiological disturbances in cases with and without non-routine events: An analysis of videotaped anesthetics. Proceedings of the Human Factors and Ergonomics Congress 2009; 53:674-678.
- Slagle, JM, Weinger, MB. Effects of intraoperative reading on vigilance and workload during anesthesia care in an academic medical center. Anesthesiology 2009 Feb; 110(2):275-283. PMID: 19194155.
- Slagle JM, Gordon JS, Harris C, Davison CL, Culpepper DK, Scott P, Johnson KB. MyMediHealth. Designing a next generation system for child-centered medication management. Journal of Biomedical Informatics 2010 Oct; 43(5):S27-S31.
- Minnick AF, Donaghey B, Slagle JM, Weinger MB: Operating room team members’ views of workload, case difficulty and non-routine events. Journal for Healthcare Quality 34: 16-24, 2012.
- Fletcher KE, Visotcky A, Slagle JM, Tarima S, Weinger MB, Schapira MM. The composition of intern work while on call. Journal of General Internal Medicine (JGIM) 2012; 27:1432-1437.
- Douglas S, Cartmill R, Brown R, Hoonakker P, Slagle JM, Schultz Van Roy K, Walker JM, Weinger MB, Wetterneck TB, Carayon P. The work of adult and pediatric Intensive Care Unit nurses. Nursing Research 2012.
- Wallston K, Slagle JM, Speroff T, Nwosu SK, Feurer ID, Boettcher B, Weinger MB. Operating room clinicians' ratings of workload: A vignette simulation study. Journal of Patient Safety 2012.
- Fletcher KE, Visotcky A, Slagle JM, Whittle J, Tarima S, Weinger MB, Schapira MM: Self-reported subjective workload of on-call interns. Journal of Graduate Medical Education.
- Slagle JM, Anders S, Porterfield E, Arnold A, Calderwood C, Weinger MB: Significant physiological disturbances associated with non-routine event containing and routine anesthesia cases. Journal of Patient Safety.
- Fletcher KE, Visotcky AM, Slagle JM, Tarima S, Whittle J, Weinger MB, Schapira MM. Self-reported subjective workload of on-call interns. Grad Med Educ. 2013 Sep;5(3):427-32. doi: 10.4300/JGME-D-12-00241.1.
- Wallston KA, Slagle, JM, Speroff T, Nowosu S, Crimin K, Feurer ID, Boettcher B, Weinger MB. Operating room clinicians’ ratings of workload: a vignette simulation study. J Patient Saf. 2014 Jun;10(2):95-100. doi: 10.1097/PTS.0000000000000046. PMID: 24522226.
- Slagle JM, Anders S, Porterfield E, Arnold A, Calderwood C, Weinger MB. Significant Physiological Disturbances Associated with Non-Routine Event Containing and Routine Anesthesia Cases. J Patient Saf. 2014 Mar 10. PMID: 24618643.
- Weinger MB, Slagle JM, Kuntz AH, Schildcrout JS, Banerjee A, Mercaldo ND, Bills JL, Wallston KA, Speroff T, Patterson ES, France DJ. A Multimodal Intervention Improves Post-Anesthesia Care Unit Handovers. Anesth Analg. 2015 Mar 24. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 25806398.
Recent Conference Proceedings
- Cao CGL, Ozdas A, Slagle J:. Utilization of computerized order entry protocols in the ICU for glucose management. Proc International Ergonomics Association Congress. 2006.
- Rayo, M., Smith, P., Weinger, M. B., & Slagle, J. Assessing medication safety technology in the Intensive Care Unit. Proc Human Factors Ergonomics Society Congress. 2007; 51:692-696.
- Slagle, J. M., Kuntz, A., France, D., Speroff, T., Madbouly, A., & Weinger, M. B. Simulation Training for Rapid Assessment and Improved Teamwork: Lessons learned from a project evaluating clinical handoffs. Proc Human Factors Ergonomics Society Congress. 2007; 51:668-672.
- Chern, S.Y., Carr, T., Howard, S.K., Slagle, J., Davidson, M., and Weinger, M. B. Effects of age and fatigue on post-call performance of anesthesiologists. Proc Am Soc Anes Ann Mtg. 2008; A963.
- Banerjee, A., Weinger, M. B., Slagle, J., Miller, A., and France, D. Teamwork Day: A novel daylong simulation-based learning experience for new medical students. Proc Am Soc Anes Ann Mtg. 2008 Oct; Orlando, FL; A409.
- Anders S, Porterfield E, Slagle M, Weinger MB. Under the radar: Technology related events during anesthesia care. American Medical Informatics Association Annual Symposium Proceedings. 2010; 970.
- Weinger MB, Slagle JM, Kuntz A, Banerjee A, Schildcrout JS, Mercaldo ND, France D, Speroff T, Bills J, WallstonK. Improving actual handover behavior with a simulation-based training intervention. Proceedings of the Human Factors and Ergonomics Congress. 2010; 54:957-961.
- Slagle JM, Porterfield ES, Afshartous D, Weinger MB. Prevalence of potentially distracting non-patient care activities and their effects on vigilance and workload during anesthesia. 2011; A1726.
- Weinger MB, Slagle JM, Nwosu SK. Higher pre- and post-case workload ratings by anesthesiologists, surgeons, and OR nurses are associated with non-routine events. 2011 Oct; A1728.