ABOUT THE MODULE
In this training module, we present instructions and protocols for accomplishing each of the four steps required to implement an effective prompted voiding program. The module starts with a list of learning objectives, followed by an overview of prompted voiding.
Next, we present the four implementation steps:
Step 1: Conduct a basic resident evaluation
Step 2: Assess resident responsiveness to prompted voiding
Step 3: Implement time-saving strategies to maintain prompted voiding programs
Step 4: Conduct periodic control checks to help ensure incontinence care quality
To scroll from page to page, use the "Next" button at the bottom of each page.
How long will it take to read these "how to" sections? About 20-30 minutes. Not enough time now for the task? Then print the module in full, or just the pages you select, so that you can browse through them at your leisure.
Click here to print the module in full.
Elsewhere in this module--Links, FAQs, Related Studies--we provide guidance and referrals to other resources that can help you improve incontinence care in your facility. And via our discussion board you can chat with other long-term care providers about the topic.
At the end of this training module, you will be able to:
- Demonstrate knowledge of the importance of conducting a comprehensive evaluation of residents who are incontinent of urine.
- Demonstrate knowledge of the benefits of prompted voiding for incontinent nursing home residents.
- Compare and contrast prompted voiding to other treatment and management options for incontinent nursing home residents.
- Describe and implement the prompted voiding procedure with incontinent residents.
- Assess a resident’s responsiveness to prompted voiding.
- Demonstrate knowledge of the management options for incontinent residents who are not responsive to prompted voiding.
- List at least three modifications that can make a prompted voiding program potentially more feasible to implement.
- Create a control chart for use in monitoring a prompted voiding program.
- Implement the procedure for conducting control checks as a means of evaluating a prompted voiding program.
All procedures presented in this module are in accordance with the federal regulations that govern nursing home care and best practice guidelines for incontinence care.
We've tried to be comprehensive, but if there is something you can't find, or if you have unanswered questions, comments, or concerns, please contact us.