Dr. Susan Bell is Assistant Professor of Medicine at Vanderbilt University. She obtained her bachelor's degree in physiology from the University of London and her medical degree at St. George’s Hospital Medical School, London, UK. Dr. Bell completed her internal medical residency training at Johns Hopkins Hospital and completed fellowship training in Cardiology and Geriatric Medicine at Vanderbilt University Medical Center. She earned a master’s degree in Clinical Investigation from Vanderbilt University.
Dr. Bell is the recipient of the Norma B. Anderson Prize in Medicine from Johns Hopkins Hospital and a Physiology Society (UK) Award for Research. She is also among a handful of scholars to receive a Paul B. Beeson Career Development Award in the Aging Research Program in 2015. Her research interests are focused on the impact and diagnosis of frailty in individuals with cardiovascular disease and the use of non-invasive imaging techniques. Since 2012, Dr. Bell has collaborated with Dr. Jefferson on the Memory & Aging Project where she is examining the association and long-term impact of frailty on diastolic cardiovascular function and impaired blood pressure augmentation.
- Bell SP, Schnipper JL, Goggins K, Bian A, Shintani A, Roumie CL, Dalal AK, Jacobson TA, Rask KJ, Vaccarino V, Gandhi TK, Labonville SA, Johnson D, Neal EB, Kripalani S. Effect of Pharmacist Counseling Intervention on Health Care Utilization Following Hospital Discharge: A Randomized Control Trial. Journal of general internal medicine. 2016 Feb 16. PMID: 26883526 [PubMed].
- Bell SP, Orr NM, Dodson JA, Rich MW, Wenger NK, Blum K, Harold JG, Tinetti ME, Maurer MS, Forman DE. What to Expect From the Evolving Field of Geriatric Cardiology. Journal of the American College of Cardiology. 2015 Sep 15;66(11). 1286-99. PMID: 26361161 [PubMed].
- Simmons SF, Schnelle JF, Saraf AA, Simon Coelho C, Jacobsen JM, Kripalani S, Bell S, Mixon A, Vasilevskis EE. Pain and Satisfaction With Pain Management Among Older Patients During the Transition From Acute to Skilled Nursing Care. The Gerontologist. 2015 Jul 16. PMID: 26185153 [PubMed].
- Gifford KA, Phillips JS, Samuels LR, Lane EM, Bell SP, Liu D, Hohman TJ, Romano RR, Fritzsche LR, Lu Z, Jefferson AL. Associations between Verbal Learning Slope and Neuroimaging Markers across the Cognitive Aging Spectrum. Journal of the International Neuropsychological Society : JINS. 2015 Jul;21(6). 455-67. PMID: 26219209 [PubMed].
- Hohman TJ, Bell SP, Jefferson AL. The role of vascular endothelial growth factor in neurodegeneration and cognitive decline: exploring interactions with biomarkers of Alzheimer disease. JAMA neurology. 2015 May;72(5). 520-9. PMID: 25751166 [PubMed]. PMCID: PMC4428948.
- Jefferson AL, Hohman TJ, Liu D, Haj-Hassan S, Gifford KA, Benson EM, Skinner JS, Lu Z, Sparling J, Sumner EC, Bell S, Ruberg FL. Adverse vascular risk is related to cognitive decline in older adults. Journal of Alzheimer's disease : JAD. 44(4). 1361-73. PMID: 25471188 [PubMed]. PMCID: PMC4336578.
- Bell SP, Schnelle J, Nwosu SK, Schildcrout J, Goggins K, Cawthon C, Mixon AS, Vasilevskis EE, Kripalani S. Development of a multivariable model to predict vulnerability in older American patients hospitalised with cardiovascular disease. BMJ open. 5(8). e008122. PMID: 26316650 [PubMed]. PMCID: PMC4554894.
- Mixon AS, Neal E, Bell S, Powers JS, Kripalani S. Care transitions: a leverage point for safe and effective medication use in older adults--a mini-review. Gerontology. 61(1). 32-40. PMID: 25277280 [PubMed]. PMCID: PMC4479140.
- Bell SP, Adkisson DW, Lawson MA, Wang L, Ooi H, Sawyer DB, Kronenberg MW. Antifailure therapy including spironolactone improves left ventricular energy supply-demand relations in nonischemic dilated cardiomyopathy. Journal of the American Heart Association. 2014 Aug;3(4). PMID: 25164945 [PubMed]. PMCID: PMC4310370.
- Lawson MA, Bell SP, Adkisson DW, Wang L, Ooi H, Sawyer DB, Kronenberg MW. High reproducibility of adenosine stress cardiac MR myocardial perfusion imaging in patients with non-ischaemic dilated cardiomyopathy. BMJ open. 4(12). e005984. PMID: 25515841 [PubMed]. PMCID: PMC4275661.
- Gupta C, Bell SP, Schildcrout JS, Fletcher S, Goggins KM, Kripalani S. Predictors of health care system and physician distrust in hospitalized cardiac patients. Journal of health communication. 19 Suppl 2. 44-60. PMID: 25315583 [PubMed]. PMCID: PMC4318514.
- Meyers AG, Salanitro A, Wallston KA, Cawthon C, Vasilevskis EE, Goggins KM, Davis CM, Rothman RL, Castel LD, Donato KM, Schnelle JF, Bell SP, Schildcrout JS, Osborn CY, Harrell FE, Kripalani S. Determinants of health after hospital discharge: rationale and design of the Vanderbilt Inpatient Cohort Study (VICS). BMC health services research. 14. 10 p. PMID: 24397292 [PubMed]. PMCID: PMC3893361.
- Bell SP, Adkisson DW, Ooi H, Sawyer DB, Lawson MA, Kronenberg MW. Impairment of subendocardial perfusion reserve and oxidative metabolism in nonischemic dilated cardiomyopathy. Journal of cardiac failure. 2013 Dec;19(12). 802-10. PMID: 24331202 [PubMed]. PMCID: PMC3945036.
- Jefferson AL, Carmona H, Gifford KA, Lambe S, Byerly LK, Cantwell NG, Tripodis Y, Karlawish J. Clinical research risk assessment among individuals with mild cognitive impairment. The American journal of geriatric psychiatry : official journal of the American Association for Geriatric Psychiatry. 2012 Oct;20(10). 878-86. PMID: 22549368 [PubMed]. PMCID: PMC3411922.
- Bell SP, Curran PK, Choi S, Mindell JA. Site-directed fluorescence studies of a prokaryotic ClC antiporter. Biochemistry. 2006 Jun 6;45(22). 6773-82. PMID: 16734414 [PubMed].
- Bell SP, Saraf A. Risk stratification in very old adults: how to best gauge risk as the basis of management choices for patients aged over 80. Progress in cardiovascular diseases. 57(2). 197-203. PMID: 25216619 [PubMed]. PMCID: PMC4174544.