Since 1987, Vanderbilt University School of Medicine has joined other research sites around the U.S. in the search for a safe and effective vaccine to help prevent HIV. In 1999, Vanderbilt joined an international collaboration called the HIV Vaccine Trials Network (HVTN) funded through the National Institutes of Health (NIH). As part of HVTN, Vanderbilt collaborates with sites around the world to find a preventative HIV vaccine.
Our mission is to promote clinical trials that will lead to a safe effective preventive HIV vaccine that will work everywhere in the world.
HIV Research Studies and Trials
One of the best ways to help is becoming a study participant. We are looking for healthy, uninfected people between the ages of 18-50 of both genders and all ethnic and racial backgrounds. Before you would enter a study, you would attend an education session that explains the study and answers all your questions. Participating in a study is completely voluntary and attending an education session does not obligate you to further participation.
If you would like to participate in a study, contact Shonda Sumner at (615) 343-6906.
Other Ways to Help
If you are not interested in enrolling in a trial but would still like to help out, you can participate on our Community Advisory Board. The board is made up of community members that volunteer their time once a month to give us feedback into our program. They also go to community events to tell others about what we do. Lastly, they look over protocols and make sure the community is being well-represented in our research.
Program Contact Information
Vanderbilt HIV Vaccine Trials Unit
1161 21st Ave. South
Nashville, TN 37232
Follow Us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter
Want regular updates about the Vanderbilt HIV Vaccine Program? Check out our Facebook Page Instagram and Twitter account. We post regularly with pictures, event details, trial updates and more. It's a great way to share information about our work with your friends and family.
HIV Vaccine Resources
- HIV Vaccine Trials Network (HVTN)
- AIDS Clinical Trials Group
- Vanderbilt Clinical Trials
- Help End HIV
- Nashville CARES
- AIDS Vaccine Advocacy Coalition
- Planned Parenthood of Middle and Eastern TN
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- International AIDS Vaccine Initiative
- Nashville Metro Health Dpt.
- UNAIDS Joint United Nations Programme on HIV/AIDS
- AIDS Education Global Information System
- NIAID Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases/NIH
- Dale and Betty Bumpers
- Vaccine Research Center (VCR)
- Street Works, Inc.
- First Response Center/Imani Coalition
- Project C.O.P.E at Meharry Medical Center
- Women On Maintaining Education and Nutrition (WOMEN)