A healthy diet is essential for a healthy immune system and disease prevention. Eating foods like fruits, vegetables, beans, and grains provides your body with phytonutrients. Phytonutrients are found in plants and help the body function and fight disease. Research has shown that by diversifying the colors on your plate you can provide your body with a wide variety of nutrients. Use these tips for eating more nutritious meals:
- Try a new color fruit or veggie each week (use the rainbow shopping list below)
- Swap red and processed meat for plant-based proteins, like beans or peas, once a week
- Include 2 colors on your plate at each meal
- Choose whole grains over refined grains
- Limit highly processed and fried foods
- Cook with fresh herbs and spices
Try a new food from the Rainbow Shopping List this week. For an extra challenge, eat a different color each day!
- Antioxidants-Protecting Healthy Cells.
- Katherine D. McManus. Phytonutrients: Paint your plate with the colors of the rainbow.
- https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/phytonutrients-paint-your-plate-with-the-colors-of-the-rainbow-2019042516501 Accessed September 17, 2019.
- “What Are Phytonutrients?” Have A Plant
- https://fruitsandveggies.org/stories/keynutrients-that-protect Accessed July 10, 2020.