Kindness is generally thought of as a simple act, like smiling at a stranger walking by or saying thank you to a waiter. While the act itself might seem small, the impact is big. In fact, taking intentional positive actions initiates a response of joy in the brain. Here are examples of intentional acts of kindness you can start doing.
- Be extra kind to the screener, a scheduler, or environmental service professional at the coffee shop or restaurant.
- Ask someone how their personal or work day was.
- Reach out to someone you haven't connected with in a while.
- Befriend a new colleague and make them feel part of your team.
- Appreciate, thank, or compliment someone.
- Pick up a piece of trash around campus or in your neighborhood.
- Give grace to a hurried driver on the road.
- Give directions to someone lost in the hospital or on campus or offer to walk them to their destination if you have spare time.
Start small to create a big impact in someone's life. You'll be suprised what it can do for them and yourself!
If you are struggling with your mental well-being, call 615-936-1327 to schedule a confidential appointment with one of our EAP counselors.