If you are overweight, you are not alone. We live in a world that discourages physical activity and encourages overeating. Today, people move less, eat out more, and eat larger servings. The result is a growing rate of obesity in the United States.
Getting to a healthy weight is important because obesity increases the risk of coronary heart disease, type 2 diabetes, some cancers, hypertension, stroke, sleep apnea, respiratory problems, osteoarthritis, and liver and gallbladder disease.
Reaching and maintaining a healthy weight is about balancing the amount of calories you consume with the amount of calories you burn through daily activity. Instead of going on a diet, think about making healthy changes in the way you live. Take small steps. Even a five to ten percent weight loss can lead to a healthier you.
- Find out how much you weigh. If your BMI (body mass index) is higher than 24.9, then you may need to lose some weight.
- Set a reasonable weight loss goal. One to two pounds a week is safe and reachable.
- Eat fewer calories. How?
- Learn what a serving is and eat reasonable portions.
- Eat breakfast. Research shows that eating breakfast helps people control their appetite and not gain as much weight.
- Eat more fruit and vegetables every day.
- Drink more water and fewer sodas or sugared drinks.
- Move more every day. Start slowly and work up to at least 30 minutes a day most days of the week. Choose an activity which you enjoy. Basically anything counts as long as it is done for at least 10 minutes at a time.
- Keep a record of your progress by writing down the food you eat every day and your physical activity minutes. Weigh yourself every week and keep a record of your weight loss as you move forward toward your goal.
How we can help:
Health Plus offers weight screenings throughout the year at Know Your Numbers events, and you can come to the Health Plus facility during its hours of operation and weigh yourself on the scales.
If you would like to make lifestyle changes and would like the support of a Lifestyle Coach, call 615-343-8943 to make an appointment or contact Health Plus.
- Manage Weight
- Health Plus Lifestyle Coaching
- Measure Your Waist. Learn Your Risk
- Aim For A Healthy Weight
- Healthy Weight – it's not a diet, it's a lifestyle!
- Eat Healthy
- Fruits and Vegetables – More Matters
- Eat More Fruits and Vegetables from the American Heart Association
- Serving Sizes and Portions
- Analyze My Plate
Keywords: Weight, Weigh, Overweight, Obese, Body Fat, Healthy Weight, Weight Loss, Lose Weight, Calories, Weight Goal, Weight Loss Goal, Goal